Flying Unit Question

Do you need World Editor help? Ask here!
Forum rules
Before making a new topic:
First, check if your question has already been answered in the Tutorials section.
If you didn't find a solution, use the search function.
If searching didn't help either, you can make a new topic.

Topic title & content:
You must use a descriptive title. (Help plz is not good) (Need help with Dialog buttons is good)
Go into much detail when posting. You should post attachments. Like screenshots of the problem, the map you are making, replays of the error. Or you could even make a screencast (video) of your problem and upload it here.

Spelling:
Grammar seems to be a serious problem amongst teenagers, so use a spell checker or you will get no love.
Read your posts twice, before pressing the reply button.
And do not use profanity. Chatspeak (y r u nub) and Leetspeak (1 C4N S33 H4X) are not welcome here either.

Only World Editor related questions are allowed here!
(Click for Battle.net help) (Click for World Editor help)
EqualiseR
Realm: US East
Account: EqualiseR
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Flying Unit Question

Unread post by EqualiseR »

Well, I realized it might be working to a degree, however the screen is still shaking a lot and it is definitely not stable. It could partially be the camera triggers, but I can tell the airplane itself is a little bit wobbly when flying over increased / decreased terrain areas.

If you could please edit it if possible so the camera / airplane function smoothly while keeping the camera following the jet in first person shooter mode (I already have the trigger set for First Person Shooter).

Also, one more thing, I keep using WinMPQ to convert one of my TFT mazes (as well as a different map which is not a maze) and everytime I convert it, the triggers in the map dont function properly, TFT terrain / doodads / units etc dont show and other stuff similiar to that. And yes, I am converting them to a blank map of the same size and terrain. If you would like me to post the map, I will.

Thank you,
~EqualiseR
Attachments
AirplaneTest7.w3x
(118.31 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE

Unread post by 3ICE »

EqualiseR wrote:Well, I realized it might be working to a degree, however the screen is still shaking a lot and it is definitely not stable. It could partially be the camera triggers, but I can tell the airplane itself is a little bit wobbly when flying over increased / decreased terrain areas.
Raise/lower terrain instead of cliffs. Some map makers and most terrainers discourage using cliffs anyway. (Because "They are ugly.") Cliffs also mess with the camera distance, and the height of flying units. (Which is adjusted automatically when they pass over cliffs.)
EqualiseR wrote:If you could please edit it if possible so the camera / airplane function smoothly while keeping the camera following the jet in first person shooter mode (I already have the trigger set for First Person Shooter).
I tried and failed. I fixed a lot of your triggers but the main problem remained. Passing over those cliffs and doodads is not smooth.
EqualiseR wrote:Also, one more thing, I keep using WinMPQ to convert one of my TFT mazes (as well as a different map which is not a maze) and everytime I convert it, the triggers in the map dont function properly, TFT terrain / doodads / units etc dont show and other stuff similiar to that. And yes, I am converting them to a blank map of the same size and terrain. If you would like me to post the map, I will.
The second part of that is normal behavior. TFT terrain/doodads/units/etc are not supposed to show up in RoC.
As for the triggers, they should continue to work properly.

Side note: You do a nice job of clearing up some memory leaks, but the biggest one remains: Point with polar offset. This function leaks a point every time it is called, and you use it 133.3 times a second. (153.3 times while the airplane turns)
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

EqualiseR

I see, thank you. What could I use besides 'Point with Polar Offset' that won't result in as many memory leaks? I have already considered using 'Raise / Lower Terrain' rather than cliffs, so I guess that's what I will do at this point.

Also, could you upload the map version that you fixed?

Thanks,
EqualiseR

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

No, I deleted everything out of frustration.

Memory leaks. There is no alternative to it. But all you have to do is plug the leaks as you already did with GetPointZ.
It is the same logic. Set a temp variable to the point with polar offset, then use it, and finally destroy it.
ImageImage

EqualiseR

Alright thank you. Also, as far as making a camera that follows the jet's angle as the jet turns, is there a way to do this without having to make a trigger that has a 0.01 second event with the action being: 'Camera - Lock camera target for Player 1 (Red) to (Triggering unit), offset by (0.00, 0.00) using The unit's rotation'

If there is, which I assume there is, please let me know.
Thanks

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

No. You only update the camera rotation when the airplane turns.
ImageImage

EqualiseR

Alright, one more thing.

I doubt there is, but is there a way to make a trigger where if the plane crashes / flies into a hill, the plane dies? Because I could use a trigger that checks the airplane's flying height once it enters a region, but this would not work seeing as when you use 'Raise Terrain', it is a gradual increase, not a sharp sudden increase like a cliff.

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Just check if its Z height is negative. If it is, then kill the plane.
ImageImage

EqualiseR

Well, unfortunately I can see that the same issues that occured with cliffs also occur with hills :/

EqualiseR

As of yesterday, I converted the airplane into a warthog/car racing map. One question I have is, when making a warthog drive over a hill / ramp (raised terrain not cliffs), how could I make it so the warthog/car drives off of it like a ramp? I have an idea on how to do this, which would require me making it where when the warthog enters a region (edge of ramp / hill) it would take the terrain height of the hill / ramp and set it's flying hight as that when the warthog drives off of it, and then a different trigger would make the flying height lower at a gradually increasing rate. Would this work like so?