Jass

Do you need World Editor help? Ask here!
Forum rules
Before making a new topic:
First, check if your question has already been answered in the Tutorials section.
If you didn't find a solution, use the search function.
If searching didn't help either, you can make a new topic.

Topic title & content:
You must use a descriptive title. (Help plz is not good) (Need help with Dialog buttons is good)
Go into much detail when posting. You should post attachments. Like screenshots of the problem, the map you are making, replays of the error. Or you could even make a screencast (video) of your problem and upload it here.

Spelling:
Grammar seems to be a serious problem amongst teenagers, so use a spell checker or you will get no love.
Read your posts twice, before pressing the reply button.
And do not use profanity. Chatspeak (y r u nub) and Leetspeak (1 C4N S33 H4X) are not welcome here either.

Only World Editor related questions are allowed here!
(Click for Battle.net help) (Click for World Editor help)
DarkJustice12
Realm: US East
Account: DarkJustice
Clan: ATR

Jass

Unread post by DarkJustice12 »

so 3ice if you see this i want you to know i honor your map skills..and someone said you write in jass...i would like to know where to find turtorials on how to work with jass or vjass cuz i wanna start making my maps in jass/vjass instead of GUI with 10k+ leaks..so if you know any place where i can learn how to write in the jass language let me know

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Jass

Unread post by 3ICE »

I see everything :) Or at least the posts on my own forum.

How about googling "jass tutorial"?

I learned from the JASS Docs, but I had some prior knowledge: For months, I would just convert triggers from GUI to JASS and figure out ways to improve them. Especially the conditions, those were done in a horribly inefficient and ugly way:
The JASS behind a simple GUI trigger The JASS behind a simple GUI trigger
function Trig_h_Conditions takes nothing returns boolean if ( not ( GetSpellAbilityId() == 'A001' ) ) then return false endif return true endfunction function Trig_h_Actions takes nothing returns nothing //do stuff endfunction //=========================================================================== function InitTrig_h takes nothing returns nothing set gg_trg_h = CreateTrigger( ) call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ( gg_trg_h, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_EFFECT ) call TriggerAddCondition( gg_trg_h, Condition( function Trig_h_Conditions ) ) call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_h, function Trig_h_Actions ) endfunction
vs
The same trigger in pure JASS that I would write myself The same trigger in pure JASS that I would write myself
function h takes nothing returns nothing if(GetSpellAbilityId()=='A001')then //do stuff endif endfunction function InitTrig_h takes nothing returns nothing set gg_trg_h=CreateTrigger() call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(gg_trg_h,EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_EFFECT) call TriggerAddAction(gg_trg_h,function h) endfunction
I did all this before learning JASS. I designed my triggers in GUI, then improved them in JASS.

Today, I can write JASS without planning my trigger out in GUI. In fact, today I write JASS without even opening the world editor. I extract the war3map.j file from my map and work on it in a text editor: Notepad++.

Before I learned about the syntax checker PJASS, I would copy everything over to JassCraft when I was done and correct the syntax there (F9 to syntax check). But today I have PJASS.exe (somewhat) "integrated" into notepad. I press F6 and it syntax checks my code. The errors (if any) are listed in Notepad++'s built in console window (via a plugin).

PJASS was originally written by PipeDream, and is now maintained by PitzerMike. You can find it on WC3C or Google.

I also read Daelin's GUI to JASS, and basically every tutorial on the first twenty pages of Google, for various search terms: JASS tutorial, world editor JASS tutorial, Warcraft 3 JASS tutorial, etc...

For vJASS, I just read Vexorian's very well detailed documentation that comes with Jasshelper. Which is built into the #1 tool you most likely already have, JASS NewGen Pack: "Path-to-JNGP"\jasshelper\jasshelpermanual.html
It is an 88 pages long, half megabyte HTML document with over 20k words, so set aside an afternoon for it. I spent almost 2 hours learning vJASS.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

DarkJustice12
Realm: US East
Account: DarkJustice
Clan: ATR

Unread post by DarkJustice12 »

Thank you very much :D

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Unread post by 3ICE »

You are welcome. I enjoy ranting about how bad GUI is, so thank you as well :)

And I got to revisit good memories too. (Oh my, learning used to be fun!)
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage