I have a serious problem!

Do you need World Editor help? Ask here!
Forum rules
Before making a new topic:
First, check if your question has already been answered in the Tutorials section.
If you didn't find a solution, use the search function.
If searching didn't help either, you can make a new topic.

Topic title & content:
You must use a descriptive title. (Help plz is not good) (Need help with Dialog buttons is good)
Go into much detail when posting. You should post attachments. Like screenshots of the problem, the map you are making, replays of the error. Or you could even make a screencast (video) of your problem and upload it here.

Spelling:
Grammar seems to be a serious problem amongst teenagers, so use a spell checker or you will get no love.
Read your posts twice, before pressing the reply button.
And do not use profanity. Chatspeak (y r u nub) and Leetspeak (1 C4N S33 H4X) are not welcome here either.

Only World Editor related questions are allowed here!
(Click for Battle.net help) (Click for World Editor help)
3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: I have a serious problem!

Unread post by 3ICE »

Well Eren, I can open, edit, and save your map just fine, even after making substantial changes.
Meaning to say; I'm unable to reproduce the problem you are having as it doesn't occur on my end.

Either you sent me the wrong map (one that isn't broken yet) or the problem is with your Warcraft installation, and not the map itself.

But if editing other maps really works fine, then I have no other ideas on what else could be wrong aside from the above.
I don't believe reinstalling Warcraft 3 will solve anything, but you can try that as a last resort.

p.s.: Old version? Epicwar says "Submitted: 17 Mar 2016 18:39" which was a long, long time ago.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

DieKralle
Account: Die_Kralle

Unread post by DieKralle »

What is the maximum capacity for uploading a file on this website ?

I could upload the exact copy of it. My map is 162 or 163 kb.

And yes, it is indeed a old map :D
"You can't blame gravity, for falling in love"

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

8MB is the limit, just like on Battle.net
So you have nothing to worry about with that 100kb map. Nice job by the way, on keeping the file size small.
ImageImage

DieKralle

Have fun. If this problem still don't appears on your PC then I have to find it out myself :)

PS: The file size was not intended. I just placed Units, Death Regions or Trigger Regions, Triggers, Decorations and 1 Tower you might see.
Last edited by 3ICE on Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rm attachment, since it's identical to the copy on epicwar

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

No good :(

---------------------------
Compare contents
The two files have the same content!

c:\Users\Daniel3ICE\Downloads\Maze of Claw v1 (from epicwar).w3x

c:\Users\Daniel3ICE\Downloads\Maze of Claw v1 (forum attachment).w3x
OK
ImageImage

DieKralle

Dang it! Well the final question is: Do you have the golden lock in front of a file (Basically your own created map)? If you have a lock in front of your file then it's good for you, because I don't have any kind of lock on my Map (I just created my Maze level and it is the only level from myself). It could be the last solution to the problem. This is a conundrum we can't solve or can we ?

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

No, that lock feature is stupid and I have disabled it so it never plagues me again.
But let's call it what it is: Usually the lock is an indication of special permissions being set on the file that has it.

So it could be that you set special permission for your map to be write protected. Therefore World Editor gets "access denied" when trying to save over it.
But that's not enough, you tried saving in a different folder as I instructed and that didn't work either.

So maybe you protected the file from locking, which means it can't even be opened for editing! (Permission "write attributes" also required for this.)

Reset your file/folder permissions. And for the love of <insert chosen deity here>; Get rid of all the locks on every file that show them! All they do is cause confusion, like they did now.

Of course if you had told me right off the bat that the file has a golden lock I would have immediately known that was the cause of all your issues. But this is the first time you mention it.
Only with years of experience in solving computer problems, can one give an accurate description of their issue. But by that time they no longer need help themselves.

Edit: I removed your previous attachment, since it's identical to the copy on epicwar
ImageImage

DieKralle

Reset your file/folder permissions.
This was the sentence. It was that one and only sentence that helped me to save again. 3ICE Thank you for your amazing help for finding the solution for the problem. You just have to turn off "Write-protected" attribute to save again.

Also could you please remove every photo from my previous posts, it bugs me a bit. Reason is that when you load the page a gigantic picture appears in your face. :D

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Man, I am so glad we solved this issue :)
How long did it take? Eight months? ;)

One look at your maps folder would have showed me the key (lock). But we tried everything except that. Haha :)

I'm not removing those beautiful pictures. They are integral to documenting the issue and resolution process. Are they really that in-your-face? Maybe my screen is so big I don't notice. Or the JavaScript responsible for resizing pictures is broken. Can you show me a screenshot of one of the affected posts? I want to make sure my website looks good (even if not the same) in every browser, on every operating system, and at every screen resolution.
ImageImage

DieKralle

Ahem, the pictures are fine NOW, but before that it was huge. I think you re-sized all the pictures :P

The locks were the whole time gone since I started this thread. There are still gone.

Are you good at programing platform games ? If so, there is a game called "Geometry Dash" on steam. The Creator of the game (Robtop) almost needs 1 year to finish the 2.1 update and if he proceeds with the game to the 2.2 update you could hit him up and ask him, if you could program anything into the game (The creator I believe has no Team that helps him and I think he don't wants any help, but you could ask him :D) You are very skilled in programing and I just wanted to tell you that. If you don't want it then it is fine. There are also a lot of hackers and he doesn't have the time to take care of them till the pdate releases.