Map Deprotecting tools

Do you need World Editor help? Ask here!
Forum rules
Before making a new topic:
First, check if your question has already been answered in the Tutorials section.
If you didn't find a solution, use the search function.
If searching didn't help either, you can make a new topic.

Topic title & content:
You must use a descriptive title. (Help plz is not good) (Need help with Dialog buttons is good)
Go into much detail when posting. You should post attachments. Like screenshots of the problem, the map you are making, replays of the error. Or you could even make a screencast (video) of your problem and upload it here.

Spelling:
Grammar seems to be a serious problem amongst teenagers, so use a spell checker or you will get no love.
Read your posts twice, before pressing the reply button.
And do not use profanity. Chatspeak (y r u nub) and Leetspeak (1 C4N S33 H4X) are not welcome here either.

Only World Editor related questions are allowed here!
(Click for Battle.net help) (Click for World Editor help)
BugMeNot

Map Deprotecting tools

Unread post by BugMeNot »

Hello there, i started playing warcraft 3 again after many years and downloading random maps i found this one called "Hero of the empire", wich has a recently updated version http://hero-empire.com/load/download_he ... c/1-1-0-73

The thing is, a great map indeed, there are hundreds of items and combinations and secrets to discover, BUT! i play it in single player mode, each game takes about ~3 hs and 1 mistake can make you loose easily, no cheats allowed, no much info shared...was trying to obtain that info with xdep, wich crash automatically just to know how to play it and not wasting entirely weeks making mistakes. Tried a few maps with xdep and all of them generates the listfile, but not this map
Are there other tools to at least read the units, items, skills contained in the w3x file?
Since xdep gets nothing, mpq master, mpq recovery, etc gets nothing too. I m not pretending to get the map unprotected (i dont care about the code, triggers, etc) but at least to know the units and items pointing me which programs can i use; most things u can learn are from replays, wich are also 2 or 3 hs wasted to discover 1 or 2 item combination or something else.

Regards,
This is a guest account intended for use by people who wish to remain anonymous or hate registering.
(Please don't forget to sign your posts with your name if you want us to know who you are.)
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/3ice.hu

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Map Deprotecting tools

Unread post by 3ICE »

Hi,

I'll take a look tonight. (In a separate post from this one.)

p.s.: Sorry for the two weeks wait, didn't see this thread until now.

Also, if anyone ever feels ignored this long... Please PM me sooner, like within 2 days.
Then I'll get a separate email notification for that PM and react to it immediately (as I usually do).
You can also email me, literally any address (username) under this website (3ice.hu) works and is automatically and immediately redirected to my gmail (secret) address.
Posting a comment on my blog also works to get my attention.
Or Skype (though I don't add strangers so) make sure you fill in (change) the add reason / greeting / first message thing that usually says
"Hey 3ICE I'd like to add you on Skype"
to something meaningful and unique like
"It's me Regards from your Warcraft website. I have a map deprotecting question"
I also have Messenger, WhatsApp, Kik, Telegram, etc. All usernames are 3ICE.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Welcome to the realm of deprotection by hand. No automated tool can handle very well protected maps. Thankfully most people only use the Optimizer which is the main target of deprotection tools so they're good at reconstructing it. Not this map though.

I was able to extract all files from the map with an old (version 1.10 I think) MPQ Editor. Most of the unknowns are skins, they don't interest us.

I can read unit, item, and ability data (and many other tables besides these main ones) as slk files. (What is slk? Basic Excel is an oversimplified answer, but true. There are more columns than fits on my screen though. The contents are not simple, nor easy to understand. It's just the things you can do with the slk format is what is simple/limited.) If you really can't stand slk files and need w3a (w3u w3i w3o and the like) data object files, the DeWidgetizer tool is your friend.
I see the full minimap (from war3map.blp) but no usable GUI region data, so no looking around in World Editor for secret areas of the Terrain. Zepir to the rescue. It eats a war3map.wct file and outputs graphical tiles that look almost like in Warcraft.
Triggers are accessible in ugly JASS format, readable as obfuscated source code in the war3map.j file. Any scripted event in the map is laid bare there. The tool I use here is Notepad++ but JassCraft is a more beginner-friendly one, built specifically for working with these script files.
Trigger strings are in a separate text file. Connect the string to the trigger that use them by the TRIGSTR_X ID. Every line of text said in the map, all the hidden quests, boss dialogue, character interactions, ability and item tooltips are in there. Happy reading.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

BugMeNot

Unread post by BugMeNot »

How could I generate the w3i file?
This is a guest account intended for use by people who wish to remain anonymous or hate registering.
(Please don't forget to sign your posts with your name if you want us to know who you are.)
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/3ice.hu

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

What's wrong with the original?
Attachments
war3map.zip
(379 Bytes) Downloaded 486 times