Happy new year!

Anything not related to map making or Blizzard games should be posted here.
Fun • Forum games • Images • Films • Music • Humor • Videos
Forum rules
The off topic has no rules :)
DieKralle
Realm: Europe
Account: Die_Kralle

Happy new year!

Unread post by DieKralle »

Happy new year everyone. I wish you best of luck in the year 2017. I know it's early but who posts a "Happy new year" message while you are celebrating the new year? For real now Happy new Year!
"You can't blame gravity, for falling in love"

3ICE
Admin
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Happy new year!

Unread post by 3ICE »

Happy new year! I celebrate by taking a three hours long exam. Starts in two hours ;)
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

DieKralle

:o Then good luck :)

DieKralle

And?... How went the exam ? :D

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

We'll find out next month. UPDATE: One day after the exam I already know my grade: 4 (with bonus points, final grade including project work is 5) I wrote like 3000 words. (All essay questions: 8 short, 4 medium and 1 long.) Knew everything except one definition. Also ran out of time during the last question, so a couple points will be lost there.

p.s. My computer decided to up and reboot WHILE I WAS TAKING THE EXAM. (Could not be aborted, these exam computers are managed by the strictest group policy and client endpoint protection.) Nice maintenance schedule, Tampere University of Technology. Real nice... I fixed the problem on my computer, (by adding Saturday to the the "office hours" during which the computer defers updates.) But there are about 40 others in that room. (Yes they all rebooted at once. Scheduled midnight maintenance.) I wasted some of my allotted time first by waiting for the ill-timed update and then by also fixing the computer so this doesn't happen in the future. So hopefully the next guy who takes a casual midnight exam won't be interrupted like I was.

My fault for taking the exam at midnight on New Year's Eve. :) Pretty cool though, that we can take exams any time we choose. I finished preparing by 9 pm, so I signed up for the next available exam. I wish every exam was like this. Down with pen and paper! (Teachers benefit too, my handwriting is nearly indecipherable. Which is not a problem when typing.)
Last edited by 3ICE on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grade 5
ImageImage

DieKralle

Wasn't there someone watching you, so you couldn't cheat during the exam.

Perhaps the real test was to fix the computer :D

And everytime you think you can do it in time, your time runs out :D

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

We cannot take anything with us to the exam except our student card.. I was quite thirsty by the end in fact. Not even unlabeled water bottles are allowed.
Security cameras galore. That's how we're monitored. In case of suspicious behavior, the feeds are reviewed, supposedly. But...
Finnish honor system. Nobody cheats. It's quite refreshing.

Oh and I forgot to talk about how I almost did not get home that night. The front door opens with ID card + password after regular school hours (though I kept trying to swipe my personal ID instead of my student card, wondering why my password didn't work -- it was quite dark already.) The corridors were completely deserted and scarcely lit. After walking three building lengths, I entered through a big red blast door, went down to the basement, and clocked in with my RFID student card to the new electronic exam center. Three hours later I attempted to leave the same way I came in, but to my utmost surprise, the fire break door was locked! Looking for a button to open it, I found none but a light switch or two. I mentally prepared for the worst; an uncomfortable night's sleep in one of the classrooms, but kept looking for an exit. Went up two flights of stairs checking every door leading to a possible exit; all locked. Even though the school is open 24/7/365.25 as long as students have their card set up with a password and access rights. (I do.)
I went back down to the basement and explored the level further. Unmanned security checkpoint, first aid station, soldering lab, bicycle storage... Bingo, bike storage! It had an exit to the underground roads! With a big green button to unlock the door. It worked no problem and within moments I was breathing the fresh, cold night air! Freedom. But where was I? The bike path lead to the parking garage, which had a convenient main exit. Story over, our hero is freed. Went home to celebrate the new year. (Obviously it sounded like a war zone, with so many explosions and flashes of light. Celebrations started at 8pm with the first rocket and haven't stopped for six hours straight.) My roommates were already back from the party by the time I got home. We watched a few Indian movies in three languages, two of which I don't speak, then cleaned up the apartment for the inspection overmorrow. (Yes, that's a word.)
ImageImage

Anaxonamoon
Account: Anaxonamoon

Unread post by Anaxonamoon »

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

3ICE wrote:Viktor: hozzáférsz a 3ice.hu-s felhasználónevemhez és jelszavamhoz? mert úgy emlékszem már beregeltem régen
Daniel: Of course, unfortunately
Viktor: akkor megnézed nekem?
Daniel: What for, it's public access
Viktor: wanna reply
Daniel: Look for your confirmation letter, that's got your username and password
Or use the "I forgot my password" button, Anaxonamoon
Use the force, Anakin
I can manually send you a password reset link
Your password is stored encrypted for security reasons
http://forum.3ice.hu/memberlist.php?mod ... file&u=273
lol you used Viktor*@yahoo.com
Your password has been sent successfully to your original e-mail address.

Viktor: ouch, okay thanks
Daniel: I hope you still have access to yahoo
Viktor: me too
Daniel: there was a huge breach some years ago and as a result everyone lost their old yahoo account passwords
I did not bother to recover all six of mine
Just my main
With all my Yahoo Answers

Viktor: i guess the same also happened recently which became a big story
Daniel: http://forum.3ice.hu/viewtopic.php?p=1027#p1027
Viktor: i also got a mail and saw it in the news
Daniel: IIRC the breach was in 2008, we were informed in 2016 ... Quite the time elapsed!
Viktor: haha ...
nice score man!
u sure about this?
Viktor*@yahoo.com
the site says it cannot be recognised

Daniel: ymail.com?
User details updated. New email: Viktor*@gmail.com new password: change.me.1
I think you lost your yahoo account, RIP
It's as if millions of spam cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Viktor: do u know Nikoletta? my ex-classmate. she does blog too
Daniel: I haven't blogged since 2008 blog.3ice.hu
Viktor: apparently I did, but never really used it so np. that is indeed the case
Daniel: One exception, apparently: http://www.3ice.hu/blog/how-to-spot-hacked-maps/

Viktor: yep saw this one
LOGGED in, ty

Daniel: gj
Viktor: haha school is open 24/7/365.25
Daniel: Leap years
Viktor: go it , found a typo if your OCD want to correct it, it is your last sentence
Daniel: ty
Viktor: Twomorrow also sounds nice or overmorrow
Daniel: Wrote it on my phone
Viktor: wow... gj
Daniel: You mean the "aftermorrow"?
I changed it to overmorrow, that's a little more commonly used.
https://www.google.com/search?q=aftermorrow vs https://www.google.com/search?q=overmorrow

Viktor: of course i meant to change the 's'
Daniel: Oh, that. I already spotted that but thank you
Also, nights sleep → night's sleep
ImageImage

Anaxonamoon
Account: Anaxonamoon

Unread post by Anaxonamoon »

Hi Bro,

Just wanted to ask what is the cheating rate in one of the best unis of Hungary, at ELTE? In Germany I took eleven exams and saw no signs of cheating. I also asked my friends and other students, they said they wouldn't know about anyone having cheated... Meanwhile in Budapest at my uni, I can't tell how bad the situation is... Honesty and fail-play are really missing.

On the other hand, same here with that last day of the year. I had a practical and theoretical aerobics exam on the 31st Dec, two days ago. Some funny things happend...

As I arrived I found the main entrance completely locked and deserted, so after walking around the block I could enter only through the parking lot. The buildings were also dark, and when I arrived to my place it was also locked. Luckily, I was on time, so I walked back to the reception which was the only place open I guess. I asked for the keys, but somebody already had them. There was only one possible way to walk between the two entrances so I was thinking a ghost must have got the keys, because I met ain't nobody on the way.
I said to myself 'Fine, let's go back hoping I'll find my ghost.' So I arrived to my building where the exam should take place and the door was still locked. It was quite freezing and it was also time to start my exam, but I could not do much. So I walked away from the building I started to feel happy, because I felt there won't be any exam now. To be honest, nobody believed me that one can take an exam on this day at 6 pm.
so I just started to walk back to the parking lot, but then I heard a noise from inside...
and tomorrow I'll have two other exams so I'll end my story here and concentrate on that. As you must have became very excited about what happend after I just sum up.
so a random guy opened the door
and the teacher was another 20 mins late
and I was the only one taking the exam
and I received a four but I am happy with it :)

To talk about partiing:
I did not want to go out so I just had my friend Gery coming over.
Then we were invited so we prepared ourselves slowly, and we could not catch the last bus so we turned back around 11 pm.
We took the next bus after 30 mins and arrived quite late in the city centre. It is 11.59 pm and we are still sitting on the bus... that was a bit embarrassing.
We met our friends around 1 am in a pub, played some table football and sang two karaoke songs. After just one beer we came home... and said we should have simply stayed at home. :)

Still, I wish you all a Happy New Year!
Viktor