Created/Downloaded maps not visible in WC 3 or Win Explorer

Forum rules
BEFORE MAKING A NEW TOPIC:
First, check if your question has already been asked in the Tutorials section.
If you didn't find a solution, use the search function.
If searching didn't help either, you can make a new topic.

TOPIC TITLE & CONTENT:
You must use a descriptive title. (Help plz | Help with bot are not good) (How does AT work | Need help with installing SC are good)
Go into much detail when posting. You should post attachments. Like screenshots of the problem, the file you are having problems with, replays of the error. Or you could even make a screencast (video) of your problem and upload it here.

SPELLING:
Grammar seems to be a serious problem amongst teenagers, so use a spell checker or you will get no love.
Read your posts twice, before pressing the reply button.
And do not use profanity. Chatspeak (y r u nub) and Leetspeak (1 C4N S33 H4X) are not welcome here either.

Only Battle.net related questions are allowed here!
(Click for Battle.net help) (Click for World Editor help)
Moreander

Created/Downloaded maps not visible in WC 3 or Win Explorer

Unread post by Moreander »

Hi.

Hopefully I'm posting in the correct area. My question is Warcraft 3 related, though it is not Battle.net related (your subtitle of the HELP topic mentioned I should post any Warcraft related questions here, though your red text above suggests I should only do so if it is also Battle.net related).

My problem is as follows:

- I download a map from the internet (example: your tutorial map on creating a difficulty settings dialog)
Spoiler:
Save from Internet.jpg
Save from Internet.jpg (51.05 KiB) Viewed 22383 times

- I open Warcraft 3: TFT to create a game but can't find the map I just downloaded (yours doesn't do much, but that's not important for the issue here, it doesn't show)
Spoiler:
Where is my map.jpg
Where is my map.jpg (154.08 KiB) Viewed 22370 times
- I open Windows Explorer and go to the correct folder (Warcraft III\Maps\Download), it's not there :shock:
Spoiler:
File not there.jpg
File not there.jpg (179.61 KiB) Viewed 22351 times
- I download the map again, but am told it's already there :o
Spoiler:
It does exist.jpg
It does exist.jpg (186.16 KiB) Viewed 22270 times
I use internet explorer 8 on a windows vista computer (I know, it's horrible, but it usually works for me). Maps downloaded in-game through Battle-net show up just fine, both in TFT as well as in Windows Explorer. Maps downloaded with Firefox work fine, so for playing new maps (or old favorites) I'm fine (although I do consider this a workaround). However, the map I'm working on in the editor has the same problem. The editor has no problem finding it (no problem finding the other "missing" files either), but neither Warcraft 3 nor Windows Explorer see the file.

If you look at the "Save from Internet" attachment, it's the file called Defender TD, just above your file.

Still working on my english skills as well, so feel free to edit to your hearts' content. (Like there's any stopping you there.. :) )

I'm thinking it's some obscure security setting in internet explorer, or windows vista, but I'm hoping you can tell me what it is in any case.

Thank you for your response.

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Created/Downloaded maps not visible in WC 3 or Win Explorer

Unread post by 3ICE »

Vista is a bitch. Hiding the real maps folder someplace where no sane person would look.
Related topic: http://forum.3ice.hu/viewtopic.php?t=425 Unfortunately it is not resolved, because the guy gave up after 3 pages of trial and error.

I don't have access to a vista installation to do the search myself. (I deleted its RC (Ultimate) off my hard drive the moment I realized just how badly it sucks.)
And Google seems to have no useful results for all the search queries I've tried. Strange.

EDIT: Found something: AppData\Roaming folder.

EDIT2: Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Warcraft III\Maps\Download\

EDIT3: Try clicking the "Compatability Files" button while in the wc3 folder.

EDIT4: Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Warcraft III\Maps\Download\

EDIT5: Of course the paths I edited in above are all hidden folders that do not show up by default.

EDIT6: Vista sucks: Yes / No
Last edited by 3ICE on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: +info
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Moreander

Just a few more days and I can put Vista behind me. Anyways, clicking the compatibility files button (edit 3) took me to the folder you mentioned in edit 4. The files were there, visibly (I show hidden files and folders by default, just for this kind of fun stuff.. :) ), copying them from that folder to the maps/download folder seems to have done the trick. Will be trying it out now.

Thank you for the quick response.
Last edited by Moreander on Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Yay! Glad I could help.

Now I'm going to update the related thread mentioned earlier with this info.
ImageImage

Moreander

Just wanted to confirm that this solution works for me, the files are now showing up in both Windows Explorer as well as in WarCraft 3 and are now fully usable. For my own creation, I will keep an eye on whether or not I have to keep copying the newest version into my download folder to be able to play it in WarCraft 3 (I'm expecting I will have to, but will let you know once I've tried it out.)

Thanks again :)

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Useful tip: Make a shortcut to that hidden folder on your desktop.
Move (Shift+drag) instead of Copy (Ctrl+drag) so you will only have one version of the map on your hard drive.
ImageImage

Moreander

Hi,

not a good idea.. :(

moving the file out of Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\(Program Files (x86)\)Warcraft III\Maps\Download\ will cause the problem I initially contacted you about to pop up again. In other words any file moved out of that directory will dissapear again. I was able to restore the file to that directory and then make it appear again by copying it to the actual Warcraft 3 folder, but you need to leave a copy in the VirtualStore location.

Just wanted to give you an update on what's been going on.

Cheers
More

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

I meant that you should move it in there, not out. The stuff in VirtualStore is what wc3 sees as the real maps folder, so you should keep all maps in VirtualStore.
ImageImage

Moreander

Ah, well .. uhm .. lol

Anyways, just tried the other way around (just having the file in the virtualstore folder) and that doesn't work either. Warcraft 3 doesn't see the map anymore and it doesn't allow you to navigate to the virtualstore folder. Silly as it may seem to you and me, you need to have two copies of the same file on the computer for it to actually work (at least that's what it's looking like at this time).

Greetz
More

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Thanks.

I think we can all agree on the fact that Vista sucks balls. :)
ImageImage