Have every patch version installed at once for just 1GB. (Simultaneous, concurrent. Downpatch, downgrade Warcraft 3 effortlessly.)

Forum rules
Please PM your tutorial to an admin for review before submitting it to this collection!
We want to ensure perfect quality for all information found here. Bad tutorials will be either fixed or deleted.
3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Have every patch version installed at once for just 1GB. (Simultaneous, concurrent. Downpatch, downgrade Warcraft 3 effortlessly.)

Unread post by 3ICE »

(Edit: Why? To be able to watch old replays!)

I keep separate installs of WC3, one at every patch. There are exactly 40 versions and each directory is about half a gig. So you only lose 20GB doing this, and it is a lot more comfortable than reinstalling.
And on Linux you can even set up symlinks for the never changing war3.mpq files to save a lot more space. 420 MB on each copy to be exact.
Which brings your costs down to as low as 30MB per folder or 1.2GB for ALL versions of Warcraft 3 readily available at your fingertips.
Windows 7 can do this too! (It's called NTFS symbolic link and is available through command line: mklink. Or as a third party program: Link Shell Extension.)
With my main wc3 folder already over 10GB (lots of replays and downloaded custom maps) the additional 1 GB is not even noticeable.
Happy gaming!
p.s. Setting this up took me a day, but only about 10 minutes of attention. The rest was spent on waiting for the progress bars to fill while reading a book or playing Starcraft 2. (Playing slows down the progress bar though.)
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

BugMeNot

Re: Have every patch installed at once for just 1GB.

Unread post by BugMeNot »

Version
This is a guest account intended for use by people who wish to remain anonymous or hate registering.
(Please don't forget to sign your posts with your name if you want us to know who you are.)
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/3ice.hu