My new phone - MDA Vario III (T-Mobile)

Important things come here.
Forum rules
Only post news if you are sure they are important.
Don't bump up old news just because you liked them.
3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

My new phone - MDA Vario III (T-Mobile)

Unread post by 3ICE »

MDA Vario III
(Original name HTC KAISER)
T-Mobile MDA Vario III.jpg
T-Mobile MDA Vario III.jpg (52.45 KiB) Viewed 39854 times
Image from TrustedReviews (Direct Link)
$826

In the past 10 years I have collected $620. My mother lent me the remaining 200 dollars, which I will pay back from the sale of my old mobile phone. (I didn't buy anything except for a N6260 and a 1GB ram for 10 whole years)
The phone will be shipped on Tuesday (2008/08/19), if the sales contact can reach me on Monday by phone (I hope they will manage that...) I picked T-Mobile for my provider and It is funny the phone would cost $990 if bought from the store, but it was only $826 in the webshop. $164 is a huge difference! (Both store and webshop are official T-Mobile owned businesses)

The phone can do everything except FM radio. I don't know why they left that one out, but I guess I'll be fine without.
Main features:
  • Sliding QWERTY keyboard
  • Touch Screen
  • Connect
    • Bluetooth
    • EDGE
    • G3
    • GPRS
    • GPS
    • HSDPA
    • Internet
    • Modem
    • Quad Band GSM
    • USB
    • WLAN
    • WnW
      The only means of connection missing is Infra, but who uses that today?

I will post my first experiences with the phone on Tuesday.
Last edited by 3ICE on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed picture by attaching a copy from http://www.trustedreviews.com/T-Mobile-MDA-Vario-III-photos-2
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

3ICE
Admin

Re: My new phone - MDA Vario III (T-Mobile)

Unread post by 3ICE »

Well, its Friday now, so I'm a bit late with the first impressions. But I was playing warcraft on a mobile phone, which is a lot more important than posting. It is simply amazing that a small 190g device can do that. Don't get too excited though, because this is how it looks like: http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=233146
ImageImage

evilwormy
Realm: US East
Account: evilwormy1

Unread post by evilwormy »

hey ice can you put the pics or vid on this web site cuz im mainly on this at school pl mate
God's speed my lonely angle

For The Hoard

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

No sorry, my web space is limited to 1GB and I would rather not host videos here. They can fill 1GB pretty fast.

There are ways of getting around those school firewalls. I recommend checking out google.com/ search?q= how to get around school firewalls it is the easiest method I know of.

By the way isn't school for learning?

p.s.: Here are two images: img1 img2
ImageImage

evilwormy
Account: evilwormy1

Unread post by evilwormy »

kk thanks for that ice...
God's speed my lonely angle

For The Hoard

YzRiDeR72
Account: YzRiDeR72

Unread post by YzRiDeR72 »

My phone = Samsung-Alias ( Verizon )

Second member(following 3ICE) to site. =]
You don't learn unless you crash. =]

YzRiDeR72
Account: YzRiDeR72

Unread post by YzRiDeR72 »

My new phone!

Verizon enV 2

(Although i got in black :) )
Second member(following 3ICE) to site. =]
You don't learn unless you crash. =]

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Image Don't bump up old news...
This one was 200 days old!
ImageImage

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

R.I.P. — my phone died this week. I know I'm bumping old news and everything, but this is a newsworthy story in itself. Here is part of an email I sent to a friend about it all:

p.s.: I am an accident-magnet it seems. As you know I recently lost all my data on my SSD. Still getting over that... It died so mysteriously, and for no reason I can see... And now this; Just last week my brother sat on my phone (it was in my coat pocket, on a chair) and broke it. Totaled. The screen is thoroughly cracked, leaking black LCD fluid and the stain it leaves behind is growing day by day. A few days ago you could still barely see one or two dozen rows of pixels, but even that worked only if you pressed down near/on the screen real tight. Just enough for me to try and copy some of my files to the SD card because I mostly remember where everything was, and could use the phone somewhat blindly. Total Commander to the rescue. It's dying fast though. Today I can't see anything except the white backlight, the crack, and the gigantic black spot.
This is my data loss #2. All my contacts, todo lists, notes, pictures, music, documents, ebooks, passwords, SMS, call history, saved phone numbers, hundreds of apps, my programs, saved games, high scores, alarms, timetables, launcher, my unique and cool phone configuration... Gone. I couldn't copy everything. And there is no way to backup SMS. And even though now I know how, I cannot rescue my contacts anymore. (I would have to save them one by one as a vCard export to the SD card. Too bad I cannot see anything anymore, so that route is blocked.)
It was a Windows Mobile 6 too, with a tilting touchscreen, a slide-out QWERTY hardware keyboard — awesome for blind typing, and even a stylus. They don't make or sell that kind of phone anymore. It had four names: HTC Kaiser / AT&T Tilt / HTC TyTN II / T-Mobile MDA Vario III. It was worth 250 000 HUF (929$), maybe even 300 000 HUF with my modifications. Lasted 5 years in perfect condition. Until its sudden and tragic end last week.
Blew all my spare money on buying a new phone. Unfortunately it's not as good as my old phone was. It's a Lumia 930 for 150 000 HUF. Windows Mobile 6 was the last good version of Windows Phone. Version 8 and 8.1 of Windows are terrible for phones, might as well say -8 or -8.1 (negative.) Everything is on the tightest security lockdown Microsoft could come up with. No access to the file system or behind the scenes stuff. No fun to be had at all. My inner hacker is devastated. I can't even root it or hack around in the registry / Windows folder. Battery life is barely a day. Old phone was good for a week between charges IIRC.
Anyway, enough complaining. This postscript is already longer than my actual email. I'll be just fine.
ImageImage

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

I still have a windows phone. Two of them in fact. 950XL and 930 (Lumia) Daily drivers both.

(Reply to this comment from someone else: "My 930 was probably the best phone I used at the time It was sturdy, great display, fluid (Windows 8 &10). The specs & camera were so good.")

(My two replies to that:)
They still are. Zeiss PureView 20 MP, best camera on any smartphone for years. Only complaint: My on/off button fell off. Ducktaped it back.
Also the screen is starting to separate from the chassis, but that's to be expected. Old glue+lots of heat. (Love the hot CPU, hand warmer!)
ImageImage