I will be programming a new website for myself

Important things come here.
Forum rules
Only post news if you are sure they are important.
Don't bump up old news just because you liked them.
3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

I will be programming a new website for myself

Unread post by 3ICE »

Yes, I will be programming a new website for myself!
Out of boredom, for practice, and because I am frustrated about the limitations imposed upon me in the current setup I have. (See below.)
  • I want something I made myself, not just a tweaked phpBB + WordPress with all the inherited vulnerabilities and well-known exploits they have (downside of being open source).
  • It will be JavaScript-driven, using XMLHttpRequest to load each post individually.
  • It will be a blog and a forum at the same time, tags replace categories, the first post is treated as a blog post, the responses are comments.
  • Each post will have three dates: When (2010-05-05 16:01:30), how long ago (58 seconds ago), and how long after the previous post (16 minutes later). 2010-05-05 16:01:30 | 58 seconds ago | 16 minutes later (This is a work in progress, needs to make more sense.)
  • I already decided on the pitch-black background color and 17px font size: Example Font color is going to change from white to something else, like: Example
  • Posts will have rounded corners. I am counting on browsers to add support for CSS3 border-radius soon. (IE8 and below fails. Opera9 and below fails.)
  • Each posts will have an edit history and versions will be comparable.
  • We will post using HTML, not BBCode (Newbies will have access to WYSIWYG and cleartext editors of course.) Default will be a simple textbox that goes into <pre>.
  • Posting <script>s will be allowed! Dangerous, but very useful.
  • Enforced spell checker for some of the most common misspellings. For example: If your post contains the string "alot" (Proper spelling is "a lot"!) you will be presented with a red error message and the submit button will be disabled until you fix the error or dismiss the error message.
  • And I have to finish it before SC2 is released. EDIT: Fail. SC2 is released next week and I'm not even close to being done.
One problem with the current setup for example:
WordPress keeps changing my code to what it thinks is better, but actually fails: <br /> sometimes changes to <p></p> when all I wanted is an extra line after an image. <p> on the other hand turns into <div> for no reason. And nested <div>s unnest themselves automatically! And the changes only occur after I click on publish. Frustrating...
Last edited by 3ICE on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

manstie
Account: manstie

Re: I will be programming a new website for myself

Unread post by manstie »

You shouldn't strain yourself there.

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE