Microsoft Visual Studio crashes on startup with no error message

Discussion of interesting applications and computer games available on the market.
3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Microsoft Visual Studio crashes on startup with no error message

Unread post by 3ICE »

Found this in devenv /log after 2 hours of fruitless search:
License validation task failed unexpectedly. The application will be shutdown.
Fuck you for silently quitting on me. How about showing an error message on screen!?
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

3ICE
Admin

Re: Microsoft Visual Studio crashes on startup with no error message

Unread post by 3ICE »

Calmed down a bit, here is take #2:

Hi,

I reinstalled Visual Studio 2013 Pro yesterday. Big mistake. It doesn't work anymore.

After hours of digging, I found this fatal error that gets logged if I run devenv with the /safemode and /log parameters, but no record of it exists otherwise.
It is not displayed to the user at any point during the crash. And no details are given as to why or how it failed, and what to do about fixing it.

The error message:
"License validation task failed unexpectedly. The application will be shutdown." [sic]

It is blocking me from using my VS2013 Pro that I acquired legitimately (via my university's MSDNAA subscription).

(Order Number: 100320879431 Date Ordered: 2014-09-14 5:19 PM Central Europe Daylight Time)

No results on Google for the error message. I even tried to Bing it to no avail.

I originally posted this here: http://forum.3ice.hu/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=883

I feel the user whose IDE is terminated in this way is at least entitled to seeing an error message displayed on screen.

I am currently doing a reinstall cycle, maybe it fixes the issue. I see over 50 new components installed with Visual Studio today in the Add/Remove programs dialog, even though I unchecked everything I could at setup and wanted a minimal install so my poor tiny SSD doesn't get hogged down with excess junk. Glad we have the /uninstall /force switches even if they aren't worded right (says install instead of uninstall everywhere.) Although even after that, I'm still left with parts of VS that I never asked for in the first place. Like the huge bundled Phone SDK, a dozen of Visual C++ runtimes and redistributables, miscellaneous components, and autorun entries beyond count.

I also tried a nuke from orbit approach, deleting every registry key that Visual Studio uses. Nothing.

I regret choosing the web installer for now I will pay 4x the download price. (And my time...)

Sincerely,
Daniel "3ICE" Berezvai

p.s.: Grammar. The phrase "shutdown" [sic] is actually two words. Especially if it's used in the context it is: "will be shut down" .
ImageImage

3ICE
Admin

Re: Microsoft Visual Studio crashes on startup with no error message

Unread post by 3ICE »

ImageImage