Alternative fix for the "Chrome opens twice" error. On Win10

Discussion of interesting applications and computer games available on the market.
3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Alternative fix for the "Chrome opens twice" error. On Win10

Unread post by 3ICE »

Hi,

This "two windows" problem is caused by Chrome being unable to actually launch in Windows 8 mode on my computer.
Why? Because:
• I brutally murdered all of Chrome's autostart entries and system integration stuff.
• I also mangled the metro part of my windows, I want a proper desktop OS, not a tablet.
• Also: doesn't help that I'm not actually running Windows 8, but Windows 10 Developer preview. :)

Chrome needs to stop using the "Windows 8 Mode" terminology ASAP. Windows 10 releases in less than a year!

Fix:
Go to Registry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome\Metro

Delete everything in the Metro folder, including the folder itself. Just to be safe. I only had one key in there, which governs the mode Chrome launches in. It was set to "1", which means metro mode.

After I deleted it, I killed all chrome.exe entries in task manager (I actually use Process Explorer, but it should be the same deal in Task Manager too.)
Relaunch, you will see a "chrome has crashed" error, close it and you are golden.
If you relaunch chrome again, it will be perfect. No more double windows or "did not shut down properly" notifications.

Sincerely,
Daniel "3ICE" Berezvai

p.s.: One of the two windows was for connecting with the metro engine, and you cannot even type into its omnibar. I'm glad the other (desktop mode) window opens after a while, when chrome realizes metro has failed to launch. That's how I was able to Google my problem (and fail to find a solution.)
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

BugMeNot

Re: Alternative fix for the "Chrome opens twice" error. On Win10

Unread post by BugMeNot »

This is a guest account intended for use by people who wish to remain anonymous or hate registering.
(Please don't forget to sign your posts with your name if you want us to know who you are.)
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/3ice.hu

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Alternative fix for the "Chrome opens twice" error. On Win10

Unread post by 3ICE »

Thank you. Indeed I posted it there.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage