Missing File Privileges

Do you need help with a computer-related problem? Ask it here!
DieKralle
Realm: Europe
Account: Die_Kralle

Missing File Privileges

Unread post by DieKralle »

Dear 3ICE,

it has been a few months, since I wrote you about a problem or basically anything. So... I have this problem and I'll explain it to the best I can. Let's begin.

This problem occurs when I try to download an update for CSGO (You probably heard of this game) It only occurs for CSGO and no other game is affected by this.
When it fails to update the game, this message will display (Look at the attachment)

The sentence "Fehlende Dateirechte" means in english "Missing file privileges".
I searched on youtube for a solution and tried some of them, but none of those did work.
Some solutions suggested that I should use task manager to force close the process "igfxEM.exe". But as it turns out, I didn't even have this process running!
I tried to restart my laptop, tried to delete the downloading folder, tried to clean my download cache (as steam suggested), but it still didn't work :(
So I'm asking you, my last hope of ever playing CSGO, to help me find the solution to this problem

Thanks you for reading,

-DieKralle
Attachments
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (6.32 KiB) Viewed 6649 times
"You can't blame gravity, for falling in love"

3ICE
Admin
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Missing File Privileges

Unread post by 3ICE »

Delete entire downloading folder first. Try again. Run it as admin. (Steam, the game, the updater, that exe file you're supposed to terminate, etc.) Try yet again. If that doesn't help, either reinstall or troubleshoot:

(Assuming the error message Steam shows is wrong.) Process monitor trace will pinpoint exactly which file or folder threw the error and you can then edit permissions on it. (Allow all access from all users. Full control.) Try again. Repeat until no more errors.

Edit additional thing to try: Release all file locks. Easiest way is to reboot the whole computer or just Steam (requires luck) or do a handle search in process explorer for *steamapps* and free everything you find)
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

DieKralle
Account: Die_Kralle

Unread post by DieKralle »

I only needed to restart the computer, but I already tried that before I asked for your help and it didn't work...
Anyways thank you for your quick response :D
"You can't blame gravity, for falling in love"

3ICE
Admin
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Unread post by 3ICE »

Anytime :)

Interesting, having to reboot twice to release file/folder lock. Probably a rogue autostart entry. Glad it's fixed.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage