"No turning ice" problem

The perfect one step solution for creating Ice/Sliding Mazes in both Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne. It is the only decent system around and it even works in RoC, is lagfree, perfectly optimized, fast and reliable. The included TerrainKill feature frees you from the tedious task of creating a thousand kill-regions.
3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: "No turning ice" problem

Unread post by 3ICE »

Samtre's solution is good, but not perfect. While boosting, you will not be able to cast skills even in realistic mode!
Why?
Because of this line of code:
Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by 10.00 towards (Facing of (Triggering unit)) degrees)
It...
  • Leaks 400 point variables every time a booster is activated!
  • Uses (noob) GUI point variables instead of (cool) JASS coordinates.
  • Interrupts casting!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

samtre

Unread post by samtre »

um.......that version of slide and die is about 1 year ago........ i've lost that open-able version so I will have to create another one. I don't really know how to use JASS, I understand simple JASS, but I don't get how to type them out. I can make another version of booster based on 3ICE's variable: speed. If i could make it into a variable and when boosting changes player's speed to a number, then it be able to cast spells. But the problem is that I DON'T KNOW JASS!!!!!
Last edited by samtre on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

manstie
Account: manstie

Unread post by manstie »

What does realistic mode do anyway?
And don't say "see for yourself" because we have no idea what it's supposed to do so we have no idea how to test it.

@samtre
Boosters are so easy if 3ICE could get off his ass and finish v4 of his sliding system so it is done in forgroup so we can do:
3ICE wrote:Let me give you a few hints on how to make boosters:

You need to turn udg_Speed into an array of reals from 0 to 11.
You need to rewrite my sliding system to use a loop instead of forgroup.
You need to rewrite my sliding system to use udg_Speed instead of udg_Speed.
You need to handle "Unit comes within x of DemonHunter" events and...
...check for condition "Triggering unit == Booster". If it is, then...
...increase udg_Speed[JASS Player Number of Demon Hunter who triggered the booster] by a little...
...then wait a couple seconds and reset it to normal.

Of course this doesn't allow stacking, but I'll have you figure that part out.

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Regular sliding = Units are not allowed to move while sliding, just change direction.
Realistic sliding = Sliding units are allowed to do everything as if they weren't even on ice. They can even cast channeling spells.
ImageImage

manstie

Unread post by manstie »

When I activated realistic sliding all they did was run around the point that I last ordered and it sped up because of their moving speed... Is there a way to stop that?

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

You fail to grasp the simplest concepts of the world editor.

To stop that without turning off realistic mode: set sliding speed to a smaller or even negative number / lower the movement speed of heroes while on ice / swallow a kitten in whole / quit / give up.
ImageImage

manstie

Unread post by manstie »

Yes but with your "oh my god so cool" realistic mode, aren't you supposed to fix those bugs so that when people go to use "realistic mode" (especially newbs) then it will fuck up just like that.

samtre

Unread post by samtre »

You could think another way for the increased movement speed when ordered to move to a target point
If 3ICE would be able to make:
Sliding without being ordered to move will keep decreasing the slide speed to 0
when ordered will start accelerating until a maximum speed

remembered when 3ICE said that his slide system's turn is maybe based on the unit's turning rate? try turning it lower, or
Check every 0.01 seconds
Pick every unit of type (????) matching condition ((Matching Unit) current order equals to (stop))
Order (Picked Unit) to continue moving

this might be able to stop them from turning around, but i rather make the ice a bigger area, giving units a reason to slide round and round and round and round and round and round again.

and besides, your "critters" are just animals sliding on ice, why would there be a reason for them to cast spells?

btw, manstie, if you want to reply post, don't put the size to really small to think we couldn't see
this is what your wrote:
@samtre
Boosters are so easy if 3ICE could
Spoiler:
get off his ass and finish
v4 of his sliding system so it is done in forgroup so we can do:

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

manstie wrote:Yes but with your "oh my god so cool" realistic mode, aren't you supposed to fix those bugs so that when people go to use "realistic mode" (especially newbs) then it will fuck up just like that.
What bugs? You don't understand realistic mode at all? If you think something is a bug then explain, because there should be no bugs in my system at all, only features.

Samtre if you keep making incomprehensible posts I will delete them instead of wasting my time reading them over and over just to understand what you tried to say.
samtre wrote:Order (Picked Unit) to continue moving
Haha, and how exactly would you do that?
samtre wrote:btw, manstie, if you want to reply post
Reply post, wtf is that?
samtre wrote:don't put the size to really small to think we couldn't see
It is called whispering and it is a widely accepted method on forums for saying something disrespectful to a higher ranking user without entailing some form of punishment.
ImageImage

manstie

Unread post by manstie »

Yeah samtre, what 3ICE said... 8-)
(Similar to "cough (bla) cough"). It was a joke.

So basically your system should do everything for me. So, when I activate realistic sliding mode when not doing anything else to it, it bugs up.

So!
How do I fix this unexplainingly easy task that I should know how to fix yet I don't know because I haven't grasped the the very simple concept of world editor to stop the unit circling around the spot that was last ordered and speed up due to the movement speed when turning your super special awesome chocolaty fudge coated mega super realistic sliding mode?