Mr. CMS Presents: Hero Arena (UNFINISHED)

You can submit your maps here. Both finished and unfinished submissions are welcome.
Forum rules
Finished maps:
• Submitting your own map(s):
One map per topic please! (Or we will have a hard time finding out which comment is for which map)
You can leave your Username@Realm so people can contact you in game. (eg.: 3ICE@USEast, 3ICE@Northrend)
Write a description and don't forget to post some screenshots. (Images and videos are worth a thousand words)
• Submitting a map not made by you:
Do not claim it as yours. We'll find it out (sooner or later) anyway.
Ask the maker to submit it himself is possible.
Or at least let the maker know that his map has a topic here, so he can benefit from your comments and bug reports. (Or request the thread be deleted for whatever reason*.)

Unfinished maps:
You are welcome to post your unfinished maps here and ask for help.
We will look at the map and tell you whats wrong with it or how to continue editing it.

Projects:
Important/cool maps and big projects will have their own forum category inside. (Like the 3ICE's Maze Designer category)
MrCMS

Mr. CMS Presents: Hero Arena (UNFINISHED)

Unread post by MrCMS »

So I've talked to Ice about this map sorta... any advice would be dope. I want YOU to help me make it better! I want to maybe expand the size and make unique heros. If anyone would like to make heros as an addon version, that would be awesome. Beyond that I believe it is pretty much done, except for balancing.
Attachments
Mr. CMS's Hero Arena.w3m
Mr. CMS's Hero Arena
(38.73 KiB) Downloaded 689 times

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Mr. CMS Presents: Hero Arena (UNFINISHED)

Unread post by 3ICE »

MrCMS wrote:pretty much done, except for balancing
Quite the opposite: Balance is the only thing that's done, everything else is unfinished. (Since when are Blizzard-made Heroes unbalanced?)

Review:

This is your first map, so don't play it online. People will just discourage you by flaming it.
It starts with un-understandable babble about some limiter thing I never heard of. (And an unneeded creep timer too.)
The command is too long anyway, learn from DotA: typing -ardm is more convenient than -allrandomdeathmatch on.
After careful examination of your message, I found out what it was about... Creeps won't spawn at night unless I allow it? This complexity is undesirable. State what you want in a short and clear way. Your description has nothing to do with the command, so it is left unexplained. Also undesirable.
I then sat and watched lag-generating special effects for a whole minute while my hero was being trained. For a whole minute, I was left to do nothing! Highly undesirable. Players who haven't left the game right at the start will leave after seeing how long it takes just to get a hero.
The creeps look funny as they smack at each other's backs from the front in the 'inside' if you know what I mean... Give them a little more Collision size would you?
And then my hero got stuck between the Altar and the Shop! How am I supposed to play, shoot at stuff from my base? Another reason for leaving. Imagine if I picked a melee hero...
I proceeded with the most logical choice... destroying the building that was blocking me in.
Only to receive a "You lost" message right into the face. Great! So much for nothing. (Killing the damn base took a couple minutes.)
I then went and rehosted the map...

Review2:
This time I cleverly set up the Rally Point so that I won't get stuck again.
While waiting the annoying long time my hero took to be trained, I wondered why do they cost wood? You already have the 5 food cost limiting them to one, so why bother with the lumber? Totally unnecessary.
The game lasted a whooping 2 minutes. Out of which I spent 1min waiting, 1min running from the creeps with their chaos damage.

And this was just from 4 minutes of playing.
p.s.: Needs AI, make it so comps get a random hero, War3 will handle everything else.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

MrCMS

Unread post by MrCMS »

Wow thanks for the advice... I definitely am gonna use it! I'll post a re-edit in a few. Thanks!
Yo yo! So I made all the changes you suggested except for the computer with a random hero. I'm not exactly sure what to do for that, though I did set up triggers (Computer AI P1/2/3/4). Oh yea, of course I gave ya credit... unless you don't want it :D

Let me know what you think.

Questions: (Should I remove ALL special effects? Should I remove the start game cinematics?)
Attachments
Mr. CMS's Hero Arena v.3iCe.w3m
(35.59 KiB) Downloaded 691 times
Last edited by 3ICE on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged doublepost.

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Unread post by 3ICE »

Yes, and yes :)

And the spawns are not good where they are now. If a hero runs past and starts attacking the opponent base, the creeps will ignore it. In DotA, creeps spawn in the bases, so any backdooring attempt is slowed down while the hero has to kill the creeps that spawn on him.

EDIT:
Example AI by 3ICE Example AI by 3ICE
     t_set Set Heroes[0] = MK      t_set Set Heroes[1] = FS      t_set Set Heroes[2] = BM      t_set Set Heroes[3] = TC      t_set Set Heroes[4] = DL      t_set Set Heroes[5] = DK      t_set Set Heroes[6] = KotG      t_set Set Heroes[7] = PotM      t_pgr For all computers do:      t_jb t_uni Unit - Create 1 Heroes[Random integer between 0 and 7] at their respective base facing 0.
EDIT2: Yes I know I forgot one hero, but this was just an example anyway.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage