Trench wars-Unfinnished and want help!

You can submit your maps here. Both finished and unfinished submissions are welcome.
Forum rules
Finished maps:
• Submitting your own map(s):
One map per topic please! (Or we will have a hard time finding out which comment is for which map)
You can leave your Username@Realm so people can contact you in game. (eg.: 3ICE@USEast, 3ICE@Northrend)
Write a description and don't forget to post some screenshots. (Images and videos are worth a thousand words)
• Submitting a map not made by you:
Do not claim it as yours. We'll find it out (sooner or later) anyway.
Ask the maker to submit it himself is possible.
Or at least let the maker know that his map has a topic here, so he can benefit from your comments and bug reports. (Or request the thread be deleted for whatever reason*.)

Unfinished maps:
You are welcome to post your unfinished maps here and ask for help.
We will look at the map and tell you whats wrong with it or how to continue editing it.

Projects:
Important/cool maps and big projects will have their own forum category inside. (Like the 3ICE's Maze Designer category)
eenan
Realm: US East
Account: eenan

Trench wars-Unfinnished and want help!

Unread post by eenan »

this is a new map im making called trench wars, and there is a few things i would like to ask for advice/help on. will include map for download if what i ask doesnt make sense or if you just want a closer look.

Here is my first problem, i need to know how to make it where if a unit leaves ALL of these regions(so like if the unit moves to another safe region it wont go off and kill the unit.(havent made trigger that makes them safe when they get back in a trench, just if anyone was wondering.)

Second problem. In trench wars the object is to hold the enemy trench for 30 seconds. There is rounds of men from both sides going at it. . .but i cant figure out how to have it work correctly with them dieing after 10 seconds on the top. Look at the picture and you will see what i mean. Is that ballanced or does someone else have ideas?I thought about mabey sending the guys at different intervals.
Will put more in later when more things come up

Trench Wars.w3m
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 531 times
The King: PREPARE FOR THE SEIGE!
Cale'anon:Have you seen a little girl-
Prince: I'm Afraid now is not the time to indulge in your desires, brother.
Cale'anon: No, i'm not-
Prince: You are an amusingly odd fellow, Cale'anon, my hope that the vulii kill you swiftly before remvoing your skin.
Cale'anon:WORST
---------------------PORTAL
-------------------------------EVER!!!!!!

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Trench wars-Unfinnished and want help!

Unread post by 3ICE »

For your first problem:
• JASS is surely the easiest way to do it. In JASS you can merge regions to form an irregular shape which can still be used for everything, including the unit leaves region event.
• GUI always means extra work. You will have to have a HUGE condition. Example:t_tri Trigger by 3ICE
.... t_eve Events
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 000 <gen>
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 001 <gen>
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 002 <gen>
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 003 <gen>
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 004 <gen>
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 005 <gen>
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 006 <gen>
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 007 <gen>
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 008 <gen>
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 009 <gen>
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 010 <gen>
........ t_uni Unit - A unit enters Region 011 <gen>
.... t_co Conditions
........ t_if And - All (Conditions) are true
............ t_co Conditions
................ t_if (Region 000 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
................ t_if (Region 001 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
................ t_if (Region 002 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
................ t_if (Region 003 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
................ t_if (Region 004 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
................ t_if (Region 005 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
................ t_if (Region 006 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
................ t_if (Region 007 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
................ t_if (Region 008 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
................ t_if (Region 009 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
................ t_if (Region 010 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
................ t_if (Region 011 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to False
.... t_act Actions
........ t_wai Wait 10.00 seconds
........ t_uni Unit - Kill (Triggering unit)

For your second problem:
• Make some objectives down in those trenches and if one team holds 80% of all objectives (eg.: 8/10, 16/20) they win. These could be anything, flags, castles, tents, medic posts, barracks.
• What about comparing the number of alive units?t_tri Trigger by 3ICE
.... t_eve Events
........ t_tim Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
.... t_co Conditions
.... t_act Actions
........ t_set Set team1units = (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 1 (Red)))
........ t_set Set team1units = (team1units + (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 3)))
........ t_set Set team1units = (team1units + (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 5)))
........ t_set Set team1units = (team1units + (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 7)))
........ t_set Set team1units = (team1units + (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 9)))
........ t_set Set team1units = (team1units + (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 11)))
........ t_set Set team2units = (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 2 (Blue)))
........ t_set Set team2units = (team2units + (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 4)))
........ t_set Set team2units = (team2units + (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 6)))
........ t_set Set team2units = (team2units + (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 8)))
........ t_set Set team2units = (team2units + (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 10)))
........ t_set Set team2units = (team2units + (Number of units in (Units owned by Player 12)))
........ t_if If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
............ t_co If - Conditions
................ t_if team1units Greater than (team2units x 3)
............ t_act Then - Actions
................ t_gam Game - Victory Player 1 (Red) (Show dialogs, Show scores)
............ t_act Else - Actions
........ t_if If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
............ t_co If - Conditions
................ t_if team2units Greater than (team1units x 3)
............ t_act Then - Actions
................ t_gam Game - Victory Player 2 (Blue) (Show dialogs, Show scores)
............ t_act Else - Actions
(The trigger leaks but I think you would rather have the leaks than custom script and tempVariables)

EDIT: Instead of killing everything, with the Unit - Kill trigger (Which would make players hate you) use real mortars. For every unit on the surface, in every second, you launch a mortar at a random point. If the unit has so bad luck to get hit, it dies. If it doesn't get hit but stays on the surface, it's chance of death increases.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

eenan

Unread post by eenan »

Thank you 3ice but how exactly would i do the mortar thing where for every unit on the surface and how long it stays it shoots randomly?

Plus i dont know what or how to use JASS really(and im trying to do a map, I suppose im an idiot eh?)
Prince: You are an amusingly odd fellow, Cale'anon, my hope that the vulii kill you swiftly before remvoing your skin.

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Only 1% of the mappers know anything about JASS so don't feel so bad about yourself.

The mortars are created, shot then destroyed:

Unit group - pick every unit in the deadly region and do:
-create a mortar team somewhere hidden
-order last created unit to shoot at random point within deadly region
-wait a bit
-remove last created unit from the game

This will create a mortar team for every unit in that deadly region, order all the created mortar teams to fire at a random point, then disappear.

The trigger will cause memory leaks.

EDIT: Note: To make it fail proof, you should store last created unit in a local variable (local unit u = bj_lastCreatedUnit) because if you wait, the last created unit's value could change (Another mortar being created during the wait, etc)
Or even better, use a cannon tower with 20000 range and 0 cooldown.
ImageImage

eenan

Unread post by eenan »

Okay thanks few more questoins. What exactly does a memory leak do? and how do you use jass? ;P

Edit: Never mind http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=74894

Thank you thank you thank you :)
Last edited by eenan on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

http://www.google.com/search?q=world+ed ... k+tutorial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+learn+jass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImage

eenan

Unread post by eenan »

well after reading around 4 JASS tutorials i decided that my santity is worth more than Easy WC3 trigger making. Ill take the long road thank you and use GUI

Favorite qutoe from this tutorial at http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper ... view=34165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let me start by saying this road is long and arduous, unless however you previously know a coding language, then it will be very easy, but for the rest of us, be prepared to be stumped, pissed, spat on, blinded….etc…

Anywho, many people do not know precisely where to begin in this sort of ordeal. So some begin by inserting some custom script into their GUI triggers, mainly for the use of locals. This, I feel, gives a false sense of some basic JASS knowledge. You are not really doing anything, and all you can really do by this, other then the obvious efficiency helper(which if this is your reason for doing so, why use GUI at all…just makes no sense), is to make non-MUI triggers MUI by using locals instead of globals. Yea this can be good and all, but barely even scratches the surface of why JASS is far superior to GUI triggering and severely limits the effectiveness of what you are doing.

So when you get past that phase, or when you hopefully read this first and never get started, let me begin by saying…good choice, alrighty now let us begin.

-emilr3
Thank you very very mutch for the suggestions i will use the mortar and perhaps try to have small regions so they arnt TOO lucky. Unfortunantly this means A few more hours of Cllicking but that's okay ;0

A few of the sites i read or went to in the quest of JASS

//=====================

http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper ... view=34165
http://www.campaigncreations.org/starcr ... apter1.htm
http://www.campaigncreations.org/starcr ... apter2.htm(dint read 3 or 4th or 5th chapter)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JASS
http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=74894

eenan

Unread post by eenan »

Oh and ive come across a problem with the mortar idea :((((

While in ordering the "last created unit" to attack ground at random point within regoin 0001, this may and probably will at one point include a rifleman that is spawnd as part of the rounds of men attccking the other side. What should i do?

EDIT: New problem. lol. did what you said about mortar trigger and now when i move my guy into aotted region the game frezzes then crashs

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

You did it wrong, then.

Copy n paste the trigger here or take a screenshot of it or attach your map.
ImageImage

eenan

Unread post by eenan »

This is it.

A thought though. Could this be the problem ?
The region isnt in playable area, so would that make the game crash?