I_H8_U_M8's Warcraft Nations.

You can submit your maps here. Both finished and unfinished submissions are welcome.
Forum rules
Finished maps:
• Submitting your own map(s):
One map per topic please! (Or we will have a hard time finding out which comment is for which map)
You can leave your Username@Realm so people can contact you in game. (eg.: 3ICE@USEast, 3ICE@Northrend)
Write a description and don't forget to post some screenshots. (Images and videos are worth a thousand words)
• Submitting a map not made by you:
Do not claim it as yours. We'll find it out (sooner or later) anyway.
Ask the maker to submit it himself is possible.
Or at least let the maker know that his map has a topic here, so he can benefit from your comments and bug reports. (Or request the thread be deleted for whatever reason*.)

Unfinished maps:
You are welcome to post your unfinished maps here and ask for help.
We will look at the map and tell you whats wrong with it or how to continue editing it.

Projects:
Important/cool maps and big projects will have their own forum category inside. (Like the 3ICE's Maze Designer category)
I_H8_U_M8

I_H8_U_M8's Warcraft Nations.

Unread post by I_H8_U_M8 »

Hi! This is a demo of a game that I am making. It is a mixture of Warcraft, Footmen frenzy. Kinda ;p. The basic Idea of this game is that to win you eliminaate your enemys. The victory Condition for ffa is done, and I am almost finished the human race. The map also morphs. Wait morphs? ;p I also thought it would be cool and original if you always got to play on a NEW terrain! This game later one will correctly restart the round every time, and you won't have to keep joining the same game over and over.

Later I will...
#1 Add Dialoge Buttons for choice of race
#2 Add races Undead, Nightelf, and orc.
#3 Add Heroes
#4 Upgrade Triggers.

After which I will have a good ffa game type. When ffa has few too none errors, I will add teams. Anyways I'd Like some feedback to how my triggers are done so far, and anything that you think I am missing. Also If you test, my map will not work single user and computers. AI would be last. Also ignore the quest menu because I won't update it until I have finished my first full version.
Attachments
Morphing Warcraft Gold.w3x
File Updated June 26th, 2009 at 2:12 pm
(33.84 KiB) Downloaded 679 times
Last edited by I_H8_U_M8 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xHPx

Re: I_H8_U_M8's Warcraft Nations.

Unread post by xHPx »

The thing that caught my interest was the "morphing" as you call it. I am working on a similar system, I'll post it in a couple of hours.

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Unread post by 3ICE »

I_H8_U_M8 wrote:Hi! This is a demo of a game that I am making. It is a mixture of Warcraft, Footmen frenzy. Kinda ;p. The basic Idea of this game is that to win you eliminaate your enemys. The victory Condition for ffa is done, and I am almost finished the human race. The map also morphs. Wait morphs? ;p I also thought it would be cool and original if you always got to play on a NEW terrain! This game later one will correctly restart the round every time, and you won't have to keep joining the same game over and over.

Later I will...
#1 Add Dialoge Buttons for choice of race
#2 Add races Undead, Nightelf, and orc.
#3 Add Heroes
#4 Upgrade Triggers.

After which I will have a good ffa game type. When ffa has few too none errors, I will add teams. Anyways I'd Like some feedback to how my triggers are done so far, and anything that you think I am missing. Also If you test, my map will not work single user and computers. AI would be last. Also ignore the quest menu because I won't update it until I have finished my first full version.
Watch your spelling! Things I marked in red are useless words, misspellings, wrong capitalization, etc.

Morphing is not original, already used in many maps, for example Gex's Eeve TD. But it is still cool if done right. The only problem is that the minimap doesn't get updated. This is a big problem for me, as you can never see which player has a nice maze in 3ICE's Maze Designer.

I will review your triggers tomorrow.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Structure is like this:
t_tri Trigger name
Erroneous line.
Explanation, comments, suggestions.

Another erroneous line.
Another explanation.

t_tri Another trigger
And so on...

Review:
t_tri Initialization
Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for (Picked player) emitting Visibility across Arena <gen>
Wrong. Simply turn off Black Mask and Fog of War entirely. You are wasting your own time, and also memory and CPU cycles.

t_tri Setup Nation Buttons
Dialog - Change the title of Dialog[1] to Choose your Nation.
Useless. You are changing this later on (inside the loop), so why do it twice?

Multiple FunctionsIf (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
Useless. You don't need this at all.

Multiple ConditionsAnd - All (Conditions) are true
WTF. This one is just stupid. I have never seen such mistake before. Conditions are AND conditions by default. We only use OR. OR's pair, AND is never useful, as it is the default anyway. We don't have to explicitly state the obvious, that conditions have to be evaluated with AND in between.

t_tri Setup Game Mode Buttons
Is this just a copy of the above?
Change it. And make sure you use Dialog[0] (smart) or Dialog[2] (stupid). Arrays don't start at one, they start at zero!

t_tri Player Button Clicked
This is such a horribly made trigger, that I am not even going to look at it. Sorry.
Delete the whole thing and make a better one.

t_tri Single Player Defeat
Watch for memory leaks here, this is a periodic trigger.
What an ugly solution... But hey, it works so don't worry about it now, maybe later you can change it to something more elegant.

t_tri Distortion
Did you even test this stuff? Looks like a bunch of meaningless actions thrown together and all mixed up.
Watch for memory leaks here too, this is a big loop. (Executed up to 140*50=7000 times per call)

Environment - Set terrain pathing at (Center of Arena <gen>) of type Any to Off
What the !$%& does this do? You are setting one point at the map center to unpathable!?
This is double fail:
First, "Any to Off" disables every pathability there is. You were probably trying to do the opposite, enabling pathability.
Second, this only affects one pixel, (Center of Arena <gen>). You should have realized that.

Environment - Stop all active terrain deformations instantly
This doesn't work the way you probably wanted. Again, please test your triggers first.

t_tri Remove Ability
Unit - A unit Stops casting an ability
Finishes, not Stops.
Test your stuff! Seriously. You wouldn't make mistakes like this if you tested your map occasionally.

t_tri Remove Human Trainable Hero
Unfinished?

Game - Display to (All players) the text: kjhfdskhgfdihgslifd...
kjhfdskhgfdihgslifd? Idiot.
Or I could also say: "Sorry, I don't speak your language."

t_tri Remove Human Heroes
Unfinished?

t_tri Camera command
Only for red?

t_all Object Editor
Why did you disable every shadow? I like my units to have their shadows!
How do you repair heroes? I mean... why did you change their repair costs and repair time? Is that value used somewhere?
Creating a copy of every unit... Very smart and efficient move! (This was sarcasm. It actually is a very dumb idea. Undo it.)

--3ICE
Attachments
Those terrain deformations are just really ugly. (Click on image to expand.)
Those terrain deformations are just really ugly. (Click on image to expand.)
PlainUgly.jpg (171.98 KiB) Viewed 12031 times
ImageImage

I_H8_U_M8

:lol: It was quite enjoyable reading your last 2 posts. I always test my things, but I will often leave something alone for a while then go back to it later. I havn't really finished most of my triggers ;p Also I've kinda ust been busy with object editor. I realized I have LOTS to do with object editor and it will take me a long while. Also do you like how all the units are 1/2 the scale? I've noticed the game runs faster when I had done this. Again I still have alot to do. I know. When I finish my first real version I will let everyone know.

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

I_H8_U_M8 wrote:It was quite enjoyable reading your last 2 posts.
Well, I don't know. I would hate to be on the receiving end of any "review" posts I made. Are you a masochist? :)
I_H8_U_M8 wrote:all the units are 1/2 the scale? I've noticed the game runs faster when I had done this.
Wrong.
ImageImage

I_H8_U_M8

A What!? :D Don't use big words that are never used ;) There was too much to read so i didn't bother reading it ;p Also DUDE! you need to calm down. I'm doing this all in fun :l Turn your Frown :( Upside Down 8-)

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Masochist isn't a big word at all. And I use it often. If somebody likes torture and suffering, he is a masochist.
ImageImage