Unnamed RPG

You can submit your maps here. Both finished and unfinished submissions are welcome.
Forum rules
Finished maps:
• Submitting your own map(s):
One map per topic please! (Or we will have a hard time finding out which comment is for which map)
You can leave your Username@Realm so people can contact you in game. (eg.: 3ICE@USEast, 3ICE@Northrend)
Write a description and don't forget to post some screenshots. (Images and videos are worth a thousand words)
• Submitting a map not made by you:
Do not claim it as yours. We'll find it out (sooner or later) anyway.
Ask the maker to submit it himself is possible.
Or at least let the maker know that his map has a topic here, so he can benefit from your comments and bug reports. (Or request the thread be deleted for whatever reason*.)

Unfinished maps:
You are welcome to post your unfinished maps here and ask for help.
We will look at the map and tell you whats wrong with it or how to continue editing it.

Projects:
Important/cool maps and big projects will have their own forum category inside. (Like the 3ICE's Maze Designer category)
Candlejack
Realm: US East
Account: WaffleFace
Clan: TMMM

Unnamed RPG

Unread post by Candlejack »

I starting creating an RPG with all I had learned about World Editor over the years, but I started getting into it as WC3's playerbase dove off a cliff. I was unmotivated knowing nobody would really be playing my game.

Anyways, Here is an RPG map that is vastly unfinished.

What it contains:
1. Hero tavern complete with 2 choose-able heroes. (Without modified information so you don't really know what you're choosing)
2: Quest giver with Two repeatable quests. (I am actually very proud of myself for getting a quest system like this working)
3: Starting zone full of Wolves and Murlocs. (Quests require you to kill Wolves/Murlocs)
4: Revive zone feature that allows your hero to respawn at the Inn of the last town your hero was at. (This feature has absolutely no value right now as there is only one inn)
5: Vendor that sells healing potions that are overpriced.
6: Creep revival system that respawns creeps after 45 seconds in the exact same location that they started. (And facing the same direction! If that ain't high tech than idk what is)
7: Camera reset command ("-reset") in case you accidently happen to scroll your mouse-wheel forcing you to zoom-in. (Gasp!)

I had planned on making custom abilities for each hero (and making more than 2 heros, for that matter) but that sort of just fell through, so the abilities are lame and I'm not even sure that the Swordsman guy even has any abilities.

Over the 3 minute period of typing this post I have convinced myself to start working on this RPG again. Feel free to look at the map and steal any of the triggers you want from it but if you are going to steal the map i would be thankful if you changed the starting area to the point where it is not recognizable. (Because although it doesn't look like much time or effort went into the terrain design I actually have things planned with lore and stuff)

Any feedback on what I could do to make this map more enjoyable is greatly appreciated. (I'm sure there are TONS of things you guys could come up with)

The map name has nothing to do with anything, just that my WC3 username was WaffleFace and that this map is in Alpha stages. (Barely)
Attachments
WaffleRPGAlpha.w3x
(172.76 KiB) Downloaded 794 times

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Unnamed RPG

Unread post by 3ICE »

Good Work!
Since I am supposed to be studying for my final exam, I welcome every distraction. Playing your map right now...

Edit:
The quests are added to my quest log multiple times. (I have three Wolf quests in my log.)

My hero feels way too weak so I am forced to kite the wolves. Lower the archer's attack animation backswing and release points for better kiting ability. And give it a bit more move speed.

The big Wolves are not awarding any points towards the quest, so killing them is not really worth it. Consider making them give 2 kill credits.

...And my mouse just broke. (Can't left click.) Continuing this once I get it replaced.

--3ICE
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Candlejack

Thanks a lot for pointing this stuff out.

Things I changed:
-Stopped quests from being added to the quest log multiple times.
-Lowered the archers projectile arc from .15 to .10.
-Increased Archers base Agility from 9 to 10 and increased Agility per level from 1.6 to 1.8.
-Increased Archers speed from 270 to 300.
-Changed the Wolf quest so that the larger Wolves give 2 points towards the quest but increased the quest requirement from 6 to 8.
-Changed the "-reset" command to "-cam ####" (Taken straight from the tutorial I posted in the Help sub-forum).
-Added a testing command "-lvl ##" which will set your hero's level to ## instantly (Works only for Red and will be removed later).

Things I plan to do soon:
-Give the archer better abilities (Such as a slow/stun or burning arrow or something).

Something I would very much like help with is Destroying quests. In my game, when you complete the quests I would like the quest to be destroyed and removed from the Quest Log but as of right now it does not and I do not know how to make that happen.
I would assume that I'd need a Quest Variable but I can't create a Quest under a variable, only destroy.

P.S. Sorry to hear about the mouse 3ICE :(.
Attachments
WaffleRPGAlpha.w3x
(170.53 KiB) Downloaded 769 times

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

JASS can.

GUI workaround:
Create the quest
Save (last created quest) in your quest array variable.
Destroy when completed.

Edit: Getting the right array index to call destroy on could get tricky, especially if multiple players are involved and they all get their own quests. (Workaround: Allow global quests only. So if one player accepts a quest, everyone gets it.)

Lower Animation - Attack and backswing points as well.

p.s.: It was a cheap mouse :)
ImageImage

Candlejack

TimberWolfQuest Events Unit - A unit Sells a unit Conditions And - All (Conditions) are true Conditions (Selling unit) Equal to Beginning Quest Giver 0078 <gen> (Unit-type of (Sold unit)) Equal to Timber Wolf Infestation Actions If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions) If - Conditions TimberWolfQ[(Player number of (Owner of (Buying unit)))] Equal to True Then - Actions Unit - Remove (Sold unit) from the game Else - Actions Set TimberWolfQ[(Player number of (Owner of (Buying unit)))] = True Unit - Remove (Sold unit) from the game Set TimberWolfA[(Player number of (Owner of (Buying unit)))] = 0 Game - Display to PlayerGroup[(Player number of (Owner of (Buying unit)))] for 5.00 seconds the text: (|c0020C000Quest: |r + (|c0012889CTimber Wolf Infestation: |r + |c0020C000Accepted. Refer to your quest log for additional information.|r)) Player Group - Pick every player in PlayerGroup[(Player number of (Owner of (Buying unit)))] and do (Quest - Create a Optional quest titled Timber Wolf Infesta... with the description |c0020C000As you ma..., using icon path ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNWolf.blp) Set TimberWolfInfestation[(Player number of (Owner of (Buying unit)))] = (Last created quest)
Here's my trigger for grabbing the Wolf quest.

My main question about it is will creating the quest in "Player Group - Pick Every Player in Player Group and do Action" create the quest ONLY for that person? Because that is what I was hoping to achieve.

Edit: I did not post that trigger correctly... How do I do it? :?:
Last edited by Candlejack on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Nope, that creates the quest for everyone just the same.

Global quests are the way to go.

Or the GetLocalPlayer() async function call, but that is advanced JASS and quite risky. I use it a lot in my maps for it is awesome.

Edit: Wow, you absolutely do not need to waste your time on putting your conditions inside an And structure. They default to that. The only useful such construct is Or.

Edit2: Quite tricky. There is a news post about it: t=614. Focus on the second half of that post, it tells you how to use my trigger parser in an iframe instead. It is much quicker :)
ImageImage

Candlejack

The quests in the quest log have absolutely nothing to do with the actual quest. I just didn't wan't to clutter the Players screen with the quest text so I'm trying to move it to the Quest Log so make it a little bit neater.

The only way I can achieve this is to use advanced JASS coding?

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

I saw your map already has some JASS. GetLocalPlayer() is not much harder than what you already know how to do. First result on Google will get you started with using that function. One of the most useful natives.
ImageImage

Candlejack

Well, from the little understand I have of GetLocalPlayer() so far, is it true that I would have to create separate triggers for each player? I am very bad at JASS and don't really know what I'm doing.

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Definitely not. JASS simplifies things and reduces clutter, not the other way around.

In GUI you might need separate triggers per player, but with JASS you can almost always put all 12 (players) in one (trigger).
Last edited by 3ICE on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sentence wasn't completely coherent. +players +trigger to fix that.
ImageImage