Transylvania UPDATEd

You can submit your maps here. Both finished and unfinished submissions are welcome.
Forum rules
Finished maps:
• Submitting your own map(s):
One map per topic please! (Or we will have a hard time finding out which comment is for which map)
You can leave your Username@Realm so people can contact you in game. (eg.: 3ICE@USEast, 3ICE@Northrend)
Write a description and don't forget to post some screenshots. (Images and videos are worth a thousand words)
• Submitting a map not made by you:
Do not claim it as yours. We'll find it out (sooner or later) anyway.
Ask the maker to submit it himself is possible.
Or at least let the maker know that his map has a topic here, so he can benefit from your comments and bug reports. (Or request the thread be deleted for whatever reason*.)

Unfinished maps:
You are welcome to post your unfinished maps here and ask for help.
We will look at the map and tell you whats wrong with it or how to continue editing it.

Projects:
Important/cool maps and big projects will have their own forum category inside. (Like the 3ICE's Maze Designer category)
samtre

Transylvania UPDATEd

Unread post by samtre »

Hey guys, I'm back on a break for some map making. I'm making a map on the concept of Transylvania, you guys might heard of Vampirism Fire & Transylvania Werewolf. And I've actually got this idea about few years ago, just never the wisdom to make it. Now, I've got the wisdom of using locals on JASS only.

I got tired of trying to fix the rotate buildings thing, so I though why not create a preset village for selected players who spawned there. They have a fixed food cap, which means houses can't be built, only be repaired on the exact spot.

Changelog:
October 9th 2010
Spoiler:
The other problem is the Ensnare spell casted by dummys will not function, I've tried them in JASS(localized) and GUI(non-localized)

If you ever want to try the "Take Aim" ability, when you cast it, wait 3 seconds and it automatically triggers.
Frag Grenade deals damage to structures, allied and enemy units, not air.
Bind is unable to be used, trigger problem(maybe not) or ability problem(dummyBind).

Villagers(normal) are for taxes, Hunters(Blue Team) are used to check MUI for abilities.

Just found another problem for Take Aim, when you cast and suddenly stops, and cast again after the cooldown, you have an automatic spell effect......only works for the same unit
April 4th 2011
Spoiler:
- Replaced AoE Ensnare with single target Ensnare
- Fixed Take Aim, MUI able
- Added Cold Night ability to Werewolf, ability icon/effects changes based on day/night
- Added different variations of buildings, when the building is destroyed, a ruin is left on it, allowing it to be rebuilt by an 'ability' which requires certain amount of gold/lumber to repair (not added yet), repairs last until 10 seconds.
- Taxes on buildings are 20/40 gold for small/large buildings
- Houses are able to load villagers (but tax payments requires villagers to be outside)
- Church, basic stuff not added yet; an 'Alert' ability which sends all villagers into random houses. Has a 'Cancel Alert' button (not added) which does the opposite, but with a higher cooldown time.
- Houses DOES NOT have food, because the house isn't completely destroyed, it has to be repaired to produce food; fooddummies are used, (created when houses are repaired, removed when houses are destroyed)
- Houses are vulnerable to damage during reconstruction, food cap are added as soon as the rebuilt button is clicked. But taxes and 'Load' ability are only added when the house has reached 100% repair (not 100%, there is a 'sort of' hidden construction, which is after 10 seconds)
If you have any suggestions that can improve whatever I made, feel free to tell me.
Problems:
Can't see to remove the very short second where you could see the house completed when clicked on the 'Rebuild' button.
How to create AoE Ensnare
Increase the 'Height' of the church to 120
Make the 'destroyed' houses walkable
Attachments
TranslyvaniaDATA.w3x
Please do not exploit this in any way :)
- April 4th 2011
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 833 times
Last edited by samtre on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Transylvania

Unread post by 3ICE »

This makes me wonder... Do people still play WC3?

Anyway, pretty cool map. Here are my notes:

If you only need building rotation for decorative purposes, why have it at all?
By the way a workaround would be making multiple copies of the same building and changing the model's facing in the object editor.

I always hated looking at triggered spells. Other people do them so differently than me. (Read: Inefficiently. Perhaps following some ancient tutorial that should have never been written.) And the fact that GUI functions are used excessively (even in JASS) just makes it worse.

Make sure your dummy has enough time to cast the spell before you remove it. And don't forget about mana requirements. And the most basic thing, the unit needs to have the spell before it can cast it. (Yeah, I completely forgot to check out your dummy before closing the editor...)

Take Aim is nice, but it is also broken.

And I intentionally killed my own heroes with Frag Grenade. Oops? :D
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

samtre

Unread post by samtre »

i did say that frag grenades can attack ALLY and enemy units.

I've found a way to fix Take Aim now,it ain't hard, the only problem is because of the wait/check timer, all I have to do is put a manual timer with my own conditions. I can't explain it thou. I tried the making multiple units, but it would take up a lot of space and you can't select all of them as ONE type in selection group.

I guess since SC2 is out, nobody plays this anymore, but then again I could use this as practice if WC4 ever come out. The thing about WE, it improved my ability on Mathematics, Physics and learned some stuff I couldn't at about my age......

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

SC2 editor would teach you even more things. Get a torrent or just buy it :D

Although Blizzard is an being an asshole at the moment; Custom games are thwarted by the so called (and dreaded) "popularity system". It prevents all but the top 12 maps from being played. Ever. They refuse to fix it and are suspiciously silent about the issue.

EDIT: I just did some experiments and found that you can simply move the building twice and it will face towards whatever angle you want. No idea why it works, but it does.
ImageImage

samtre

Unread post by samtre »

i've heard of that technique before, But i'm still not sure what it meant, so I have to put 2 actions to change its facing then....
EDIT: ok, I've tried using that technique, the angles are not fixed at 45 degrees, sometimes its just wrong. So what I did is fix it at a degree with custom value.

I haven't really played the first SC that much, so I only got a small idea on what its about. Too bad the awesome skill effects for WC3 you can't implement in sc2 :(
I mean the regularly folk-hero awesome abilities to control elements and stuff.

I've just noticed, I got my WC3 TFT from a friend, cause my bought and installed version(not original) can't access to World Editor, but then after a few years with my friend's version, I just noticed I can access to Battlenet. But from what I heard you need an actual CD-Key.

I found a decent fast downloading torrent, but then download time is (3wk*7*24)hours. Thou now I need to find a way to patch it and still be able to use the WE for SC2

EDIT: wait wait, its 4 days now......

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

I only played some of SC1 single player too, never even made any SC1 maps.

But not having played SC1 is not good enough excuse. So go and get SC2, because its editor is great. It looks just like war3's editor but with a lot more features. You can recreate all war3 abilities in sc2, with no problems.
ImageImage

samtre

Unread post by samtre »

1 day download time, thou i can't leave the computer on all the time, so it might take longer. When I'm done I'll see if I can access battletnet

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

You can't. Valid cd key required.

Why don't they let you keep the PC on all the time? It doesn't cost much in terms of electricity. Parents are dumb...
ImageImage

samtre

Unread post by samtre »

well, I don't have an original cd key to play war3 tft on battlenet....

my parents won't allow, even if they did, I'm having exam week. its quite easy, just that parents...........

UPDATE:
Ok, i've downloaded it, and it took me 2 days to find the proper crack, i can access to the editor. I'm just gonna learn some of the stuff there. I can access Campaign and Editor but no multiplayer. Need an original cd.
and DUDE! it has all the stuff that people did in JASS for war3 tft as 'GUI' in SC2's editor! (freaking out) though, I can't seem to get use to the layout they put for everything.

samtre

Re: Transylvania UPDATEd

Unread post by samtre »

bump (updated)