Model Scaling

Do you need World Editor help? Ask here!
Forum rules
Before making a new topic:
First, check if your question has already been answered in the Tutorials section.
If you didn't find a solution, use the search function.
If searching didn't help either, you can make a new topic.

Topic title & content:
You must use a descriptive title. (Help plz is not good) (Need help with Dialog buttons is good)
Go into much detail when posting. You should post attachments. Like screenshots of the problem, the map you are making, replays of the error. Or you could even make a screencast (video) of your problem and upload it here.

Spelling:
Grammar seems to be a serious problem amongst teenagers, so use a spell checker or you will get no love.
Read your posts twice, before pressing the reply button.
And do not use profanity. Chatspeak (y r u nub) and Leetspeak (1 C4N S33 H4X) are not welcome here either.

Only World Editor related questions are allowed here!
(Click for Battle.net help) (Click for World Editor help)
tim182

Model Scaling

Unread post by tim182 »

I am making a RPG and i was wondering if it is possible to scale down Item shadows and Special effects

Thanks in advance

John

samtre

Re: Model Scaling

Unread post by samtre »

I don't quite get it somehow, so you want to scale the shadows of items and special effects.

Items: I don't think there are shadows for items, but if you want shadow, you could try and make dummy unit with the shadow and attach it next to the item. When it is picked up, remove the unit, and when dropped, vice-versa?

Special Effects: you could have a few ways to do this:
1) using War3ModelEditor, you could try to experiment with the scaling there e.g. x=0.75,y=0.75,z=0.75 to scale it down to 0.75 of the original scale. War3ModelEditor -> Model Editor -> Select All -> Scaling

2) you could make a dummy unit, with the special effect as model, and scale it down. If your using the effect on a certain spell, i suggest using triggers, whenever the spell is used, create the unit and remove it after the effect is done.

What I know is you can't scale down special effects in WE, shadows for units yes, shadows for items no.

and.....your user is tim182 while your name is John.

tim182

Unread post by tim182 »

So I did the editor model scaling, but the editor only saves it as a model .Mdl, the file has to be in .blp format.
So I went and got a blp to tga program, edited the tga form, converted back to blp, an imported the file into warx.mpq
But when I run the editor the file I change and imported from before had not changed. I tried again by adding a file instead of replacing one, no luck though. So I tried attaching the effect to spawned unit and scaling down. The unit itself scales but not the effect, which I what I ran into before.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John/Tim182

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Unread post by 3ICE »

.blp is a picture. (2D)
.mdl is a model. (3D)
No amount of stretching/shrinking your .blp skins will change the .mdl model's size, it will just ruin the quality.

Import stuff you make into your own map. You should not touch warcraft's mpq files. Interfering with the native files is risky.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

tim182

Unread post by tim182 »

This is the file I would like to re-size.
So how would I go about finding the file path so I can post it here
for my own blp file.
This is all under the assumption that the file I want to re-size is in fact a blp file.

Thanks for the help,

John/Tim182

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

But blp files are pictures!
And spell effects are models.

You can't replace a model with a picture...

EDIT: If you really want an image and not a model, use the lightning's skin:
\ReplaceableTextures\Weather\Lightning.blp

It'd help if you told us specifically what you wanted to do instead of just a generic "I want to resize a model by editing a picture."
ImageImage

tim182

Unread post by tim182 »

Specifically, I am trying to reduce the size of the lightning effect (I am using scaled down models in my map and want the effects to match them in size) that is based off of the forked lightning ability. The screen-shot above shows a character casting forked lightning, and as you can see the width/size of the effect is huge.

The lightning effect is also identical to the LightningForked.blp file which I want to scale down. The main problem I am having is not scaling the picture down (I can do that easily), but it is to figure out how to import the scaled down version back into the editor such that it can be chosen as the lightning effect for the spell (bottom-right of screen-shot shows which options I have for that but none of them are scaled down).

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Okay, that helped.

You will want to read this tutorial: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper ... view=73625
and change "width" in LightningData.slk from 80 to 26.666
ImageImage

tim182

Unread post by tim182 »

It worked.

Thank you

John/Tim182

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Glad I could help :)

Could you post a screenshot? I want to see the result.
ImageImage