PHP version bump causes 9 months of downtime

Important things come here.
Forum rules
Only post news if you are sure they are important.
Don't bump up old news just because you liked them.
3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

PHP version bump causes 9 months of downtime

Unread post by 3ICE »

Hi,

Pleased to inform you that after 9 months of downtime (due to mandatory php version bump last year that I was not at all ready for) our forum is finally back up and running. My older blogs still spew 3-4 PHP warnings but at least they work and are therefore low priority. (Fixing SSL certificates next.)

Story:
My webhost decided PHP5.2 was insecure and forcibly upgraded everyone to PHP5.3+ in april of 2019 (with may being the actual deadline for stragglers). Needless to say we went down for a few months while I upgraded phpBB and rewrote most of my modifications for it. Meanwhile new versions kept coming out which broke more things. Anyway, I'm rocking PHP7 now, with phpBB3.3 and SQL8 (Apache2 of course.)

Will slowly enable the various mods over time. For now; Let the bug hunting commence!

--3ICE

p.s.: Even found a bug in my webhost's admin control panel while trying various things to fix my broken forum.

Edit: HTTPS is working! https://forum.3ice.hu/
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

NewUser
Account: Reforged

Re: PHP version bump causes 9 months of downtime

Unread post by NewUser »

And even registration has been re-enabled!
Spambots; don't make 3ICE regret it...

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Almost 10 years ago I turned off registration. (Of course continuing to manually create accounts for friends who asked.)
Now it's back on and working (tested it with NewUser). Stricter than ever, so hopefully no spam.
Instead of the ever so annoying CAPTCHA, there's only a quiz where you type 333 and then 33 or yes.
ImageImage

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Wild SSL error popped up, looking into it...
How were you able to post, btw?

Oh, I see! From the doublepost I assume you were able to post but got the error message afterward. Even though it displayed an SSL error message the post itself got saved in the database. Just couldn't access the site afterward.

Should be fixed now.
ImageImage

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Cookie settings have been updated. SSL certificate is working, mixed security mode is allowed, for now (https/http cookie)

I got rid of all saved cookies to force the update, so you'll have to log in again, sorry about that.
ImageImage

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

The iframe BBCode was broken for unknown reasons. Anyway, I fixed it now. Also took this opportunity to change its parsing behavior to be more strict. Now width and height parameters only accept numbers, not text. And the text in the bbcode itself will be checked making sure you actually entered a URL and not something else. (I updated all 18 posts that were broken by this change. Mostly with width=98% and unnecessary "px" after 480.)

ToDo: HTTPS iframe in HTTP is okay, but the opposite is NOT!!! So as long as this forum supports HTTP protocol (a fallback method), these "insecure" iframes will render a blank page because of security error:

Mixed Content: The page at 'viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1067' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure frame 'http://trigger.3ice.hu/'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS

LATEST 5 LOGGED ACTIONS TIME
Edited post “Re: Ice Rink [Need Final Help]” written by “samtre” for the following reason: iframe 2020.04.02 23:21
Edited post “Re: Bships Code Error” written by “ikillforeyou” for the following reason: iframe 2020.04.02 23:18
Disapproved post “Re: What is this forum category for?” written by “lucifer1413” for the following reason 2020.04.02 23:16
» The message contains links to illegal or pirated software. 2020.04.02 23:13
Deleted post “Re: last letter game” written by “test” for the following reason: successful 2020.04.02 23:11
ImageImage