How to redirect steam library from C:\ to D:\ - I got this from your post on ARK

Anything that has something to do with a computer is welcome here.
kira
Realm: Asia
Account: n/a
Clan: none

How to redirect steam library from C:\ to D:\ - I got this from your post on ARK

Unread post by kira »

Hey 3ICE. I saw your comment on ARK on Mar 9. The link is here https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/d ... 5126617120

You said "p.s.: You can also symlink C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\ to D:\Games\steamapps\downloading\ to fix this steam stupidity.

Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista all support symbolic links—also known as symlinks—that point to a file or folder on your system. You can create them using the Command Prompt or a third-party tool called Link Shell Extension. Symbolic links are basically advanced shortcuts."

I'm not that good with CMD. Can you help me out on how to redirect it? Like what are the commands that I need to use? Is it mklink /J C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\ D:\Games\steamapps\downloading\ or /D C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\ D:\Games\steamapps\downloading\. Or vice versa. I'm a bit confused on how to do this.

Thanks!

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: How to redirect steam library from C:\ to D:\ - I got this from your post on ARK

Unread post by 3ICE »

Good work!

/D is the right choice, because we want the whole folder (/Directory) symlinked.

Sidenote: /J is only interesting if you are using multiple, networked computers. Not recommended.

The order of directories is: Link Target, meaning first you put steam, second you put D:\Games
Because we want to target steam to install games on the other drive. So Target = D:\...

Edit: The full command therefore is:

Code: Select all

mklink /D C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\ D:\Games\steamapps\downloading\
Last edited by 3ICE on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added mklink /D C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\ D:\Games\steamapps\downloading\
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage