Lagging

The perfect one step solution for creating Ice/Sliding Mazes in both Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne. It is the only decent system around and it even works in RoC, is lagfree, perfectly optimized, fast and reliable. The included TerrainKill feature frees you from the tedious task of creating a thousand kill-regions.
DestinyAwaits

Lagging

Unread post by DestinyAwaits »

I'm using your system, I have an Epic-sized map with a lot of moving creeps in it but it seems to get laggy over time even when I play it by myself. Maybe there is a solution to this?

Thanks

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE
Clan: 3ICE

Re: Lagging

Unread post by 3ICE »

Lag that builds up over time is caused by memory leaks. The chance of a memory leak in my system is zero. Many people have used it and nobody complained about lag up until this point.
(1): Have you changed anything in my system?
(2): Could it be that your other triggers cause the lag?
(3): How many units are sliding?
(4): So you have "a lot of moving creeps", eh? That should be the source of your lag, not my system.
(5): Try disabling my system and leave your map running overnight. Come back the next day and observe:
a.) War3 crashes: You have an insane amount of memory leaks. Fix that! :)
b.) War3 lags heavily: Same as above.
c.) Game runs fine, over 30 fps: You edited my system and introduced memory leaks or other problems into it.
Last edited by 3ICE on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: 5
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

DestinyAwaits

Yes I did change something, that only units with HP higher than 100 can slide because otherwise all the creeps would slide over the ice, maybe there is some other way to do this? And I'll try disabling it, I've gotta go now, I'll come back later and edit.

EDIT: It's not your system that's causing the lag, it must be the moving creeps. I have a few checkpoints in my game, I'll make changes and disable and enable the creeps movement when you reach a new checkpoint, and see how that works out.

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

Gah! What did you do with my system!?

Okay, first of all, creeps do not slide, ever. No matter what their HP is, they will not be touched by my system. Unless...
You did something terrible. You added everything on the entire map to the unit group called t_set H.
That is bad. Only add units to the sliding system that you want to slide!
ImageImage

DestinyAwaits

I did change H to all units in Map except owned by Player 12, I'll change it back, see if it works.

EDIT: I changed H to my Unit, and added the other players' units to H.
Only a few creeps between the checkpoints are moving. The lag is still there.

EDIT2: BTW, I have a unit in my game named Ice Skating Trigger Designer (3ICE proper name), do you have any preferences about the model you want to be? :P

EDIT3: I removed the entire skating system and replaced it with a new one from your map. But it's still lagging, without any units moving, and only me skating. =\

samtre

Unread post by samtre »

well, if your changing the system, do you have any idea about the scripts 3ICE wrote? try posting the map here and let us help..

DestinyAwaits

I didn't really change anything, just two numbers. I changed them back but I still have the lag.

EDIT: I FOUND THE SOLUTION! :D
I had this other trigger for sliding before I found out about your system. But that trigger only let me slide, not steer. So I kept using that as non steerable ice. But that caused the lag!
But now I want to know, is there any way to create non steering ice and steerable ice with your system? And slow ice?

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

DestinyAwaits wrote:I had this other trigger for sliding before I found out about your system. But that trigger only let me slide, not steer. So I kept using that as non steerable ice. But that caused the lag!
Yeah... the only good system that is still around is mine. Many other people have tried their luck with creating the perfect sliding trigger, but most of them don't even know about memory leaks. Or they are not around anymore to provide support and updates to their system.
DestinyAwaits wrote:But now I want to know, is there any way to create non steering ice and steerable ice with your system?
Read the trigger in my system called t_tri HELP. It tells you how to disable parts of the system (like steering)
DestinyAwaits wrote:And slow ice?
Sure, it is easy! :)

You can find some information on my blog in a comment:
http://www.3ice.hu/blog/3ice-sliding-system-for-roc-v3/#comment-160
I hope you understand JASS.

You will also have to expand upon that by adding a new variable, Speed2 (For controlling the sliding speed on slow ice) and a new if / then /else block for handling it.
ImageImage

DestinyAwaits

3ICE wrote:
DestinyAwaits wrote:And slow ice?
Sure, it is easy! :)

You can find some information on my blog in a comment:
http://www.3ice.hu/blog/3ice-sliding-system-for-roc-v3/#comment-160
I hope you understand JASS.

You will also have to expand upon that by adding a new variable, Speed2 (For controlling the sliding speed on slow ice) and a new if / then /else block for handling it.
You always say combine the stuff from my comments. But I don't really get it. Can't you make an easy to understand tutorial? Just what to change in the Jass code?

3ICE
Admin

Unread post by 3ICE »

no
ImageImage