(My New Jump Map) - Need help fixing a trigger

Do you need World Editor help? Ask here!
Forum rules
Before making a new topic:
First, check if your question has already been answered in the Tutorials section.
If you didn't find a solution, use the search function.
If searching didn't help either, you can make a new topic.

Topic title & content:
You must use a descriptive title. (Help plz is not good) (Need help with Dialog buttons is good)
Go into much detail when posting. You should post attachments. Like screenshots of the problem, the map you are making, replays of the error. Or you could even make a screencast (video) of your problem and upload it here.

Spelling:
Grammar seems to be a serious problem amongst teenagers, so use a spell checker or you will get no love.
Read your posts twice, before pressing the reply button.
And do not use profanity. Chatspeak (y r u nub) and Leetspeak (1 C4N S33 H4X) are not welcome here either.

Only World Editor related questions are allowed here!
(Click for Battle.net help) (Click for World Editor help)
EqualiseR
Realm: US East
Account: EqualiseR
Clan: 3ICE

(My New Jump Map) - Need help fixing a trigger

Unread post by EqualiseR »

As you know, I created a map that requires you to jump through / over things and will only kill you if your hero's flying height (jumping height) is close to the enemy unit's flying height. Well, I created the trigger and by the looks of it, it should be working. Well, it's not working exactly as planned.

Red Events Time - Every 0.05 seconds of game time Conditions Actions Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 50.00 of (Position of JUMP_Hero[1]) matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Not equal to Sylvanas Windrunner)) and do (Actions) Loop - Actions If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions) If - Conditions (Current flying height of (Picked unit)) Greater than ((Current flying height of JUMP_Hero[1]) - 15.00) (Current flying height of (Picked unit)) Less than ((Current flying height of JUMP_Hero[1]) + 15.00) Then - Actions Unit - Kill JUMP_Hero[1] Else - Actions
The "if then else" checks if the Hero's flying height is within flying range (15 pixels heigher / 15 pixels lower) of the picked (enemy) units.

I tested this trigger out, and it seems like it works half-half. I can walk under a unit when the unit is in the air, I can jump over them sucessfully, and I cannot walk into them if they're on the ground because I will die. However, when I fly into them, nothing happens whatsoever.

I also managed to fix the problem where the enemy unit's flying height wasn't changing. It turns out that when you make the unit's flying height change to flying height X over "2.00", 2.00 turns out to be 0.02 seconds. It has to be "200.00" to classify as 2 seconds.

EDIT:: I found out that the reason it is bugging is because when you change a unit's flying height to X over X seconds, it takes X seconds for the height to change to the specified value, but the value itself changes instantly. I found this out by creating a trigger that tells you the flying height of a unit (a knight in this case) every 0.20 seconds. I made a trigger that would change the rifleman's height to 500 over 4 seconds, and then bring it back down to 0 over 4 seconds, and then repeat this sequence. Well, the trigger that tells the flying height of the rifleman every 0.20 seconds returned "0" for 4 seconds, and then instantly changed to "500" and would return "500" for another 4 seconds. So what I see is that while the unit's flying height is adjusting over 4 seconds, the flying height value itself changes instantly.

Do you know any other triggers I could use to refer to the visible flying height of the unit, rather than the value that changes instantly?
Attachments
Altitude Escape Beta 14.w3x
(49.16 KiB) Downloaded 541 times

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE

Re: (My New Jump Map) - Need help fixing a trigger

Unread post by 3ICE »

That is not the right way to post triggers. Look at the tooltip, look at the news post.

Change their height every 0.03 seconds by a small value, over 0. It will look good and won't bug.

And fix those damn leaks. Or your map will be unplayable for longer than 10 minutes and exiting it will freeze WarCraft 3 for 1 minute.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

EqualiseR
Account: EqualiseR

Unread post by EqualiseR »

This map doesn't have that many leaks yet, but I will fix whatever leaks there are.

Also, I had already thought of the "change the flying height by a little amount every 0.03 seconds," I just wanted to see if there was a better way to go about doing the collision trigger, so I wouldn't need to spend so much time on the flying height triggers. (My jump system uses an every 0.01 seconds event.)

3ICE
Admin
Realm: Europe
Account: 3ICE

Unread post by 3ICE »

EqualiseR wrote:spend so much time on the flying height triggers
Should take no more time than 1 minute. Just a small maths equation to decide your new change by amount.
EqualiseR wrote:My jump system uses an every 0.01 seconds event
Too much lag. Switch to 0.03
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

SHiNNiNG_FaiTH
Account: SHiNNiNG_FaiTH

Unread post by SHiNNiNG_FaiTH »

at lowest go .02

3ICE come online =D